Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Rome

I need some general advice as to which neighborhood/vicinity I should stay in for my 3 day/3 night trip to Rome. Traveling with 3 young adult females (including myself). Arriving by train and leaving from the airport. We enjoy walking and hope to do most of our sightseeing by walking from place to place. I have a list (a fairly long list mostly B&B's) of available lodging and the choices are spread out all over the place! Some are northwest of the Vatican, 3 blocks south of the train station, near the Colosseum, north/northeast of the train station. We are hoping to find a safe, convenient location that will allow us to visit as many sights as we can during our short trip and allow us to arrive (by train) and leave (from the airport) with our luggage without too much hassle. Thanks!

Posted by
32225 posts

Sara, I'd also suggest staying in the Termini area, as it's so convenient for transportation, and also provides the best route to the airport (Leonardo Express). Where did you get "the fairly long list mostly of B&B's"? You might want to have a look at the Italy Guidebook, as it has listings for LOTS of Hotels in various parts of Rome, and in various price ranges. There's a brief description of each area, which is helpful for making a decision on which will be most suitable, and also information on restaurants, sightseeing and transportation. DON'T forget to wear Money Belts in Rome! Happy travels!

Posted by
4152 posts

The most central areas are the Navona and Pantheon areas. I would try for these as you'll easily be able to walk to all the sites. Donna

Posted by
11376 posts

Donna is right. Piazza Navona area is terrifically convenient. If you can get an apartment, you may save some money with 4 people. We liked Palazzo Olivia in that area. You are a 20-25 minute walk to Vatican City one direction, 20-25 from the Colosseum the other direction, and there are busses and the #8 tram nearby should you need them.

Posted by
23350 posts

I would opt for the 3 blocks south of Termini. We always stay in the Termini area (now about a total of 3 weeks) for convenience to Termini and the transit system in general. You are on the edge of major tourist's sites but still very walkable. For three people use a taxi or shuttle to the airport for greater convenience and probably cheaper than using the Leonard Express to the airport.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you for the suggestions!! The "list" is one that I've compiled after looking through 3 different guidebooks (including Rick Steves Italy), tripadvisor.com, and multiple other web sources. They are places that fit our needs, our budget, and have availability ... I just wasn't sure how to pick which one has the best location.

Posted by
2207 posts

If it's in your budget, I'd agree with Laurel and Donna and stay in the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Trevi, or Spanish Steps area. This is the central part of the city and quite easy to walk from. If budget is a concern, then certainly the Termini area will save you some money, although you'll be riding the busor metro home ... not quite as convenient. But the transportation systems in Rome are quite easy to master and you'll have no trouble jumping on or off. It's just uphill back to Roma Termini from almost anywhere - so I'd suggest riding and not walking. Here's a post of The 25 best Hotels in Rome, according to different booking companies. These are in all locations and price ranges. Of these, I prefer the www.venere.com site for Rome, as it gives the options of looking by price, location, etc. It even has a map! I think you'll find it easy to get to and from the airport no matter where you stay in centro Rome.

Posted by
62 posts

Another vote for Navona/Pantheon...and let me include Campo dei Fiori. You want to be able to walk out your door and be smack in the middle of things! We walked absolutely everywhere from Campo dei Fiori, and in 5 days never felt the need for public transport, aside from cabs from the airport on arrival and to Termini on departure.

Posted by
199 posts

Hi Sara, I stayed here in 2005. While it can be described as "spartan" I felt it was a good value considering the location. It was definitely a clean hotel. It's a very short walk from the Spanish Steps. In that area is a taxi stand and a Metro station.
Actually you could walk to many sights from there. Breakfast and TV's are not included but you aren't going to Rome to care about breakfast or watch TV. The hotel is located in a district with many traffic-free streets. There are plenty of restaurants, coffee shops and bars in this area. http://www.hotelpanda.it/xing/xmain1.asp

Posted by
1021 posts

Taxis are inexpensive in Rome, especially with three sharing the cost, so not to worry about getting between your lodging and transport. Take a look at Albergo del Senato at Piazza della Rotonda (Pantheon). If the budget allows, it's hard to beat for quality and convenience to central Rome.

Posted by
249 posts

Nicolas Inn on Via Cavour. Walkable from Termini, and to the Forum and Colosseum.