Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Rome?

It sounds like there are 3 major areas to stay in Rome? I am wondering if staying near the train station (Via Firenze) or near Ancient Rome would be too far to travel to see the sights? The Pantheon Neighborhood just looks to pricey for us. Thanks so much!

Posted by
23273 posts

This is discussed constantly (use the search box) and everyone has their preference -- which is almost every neighborhood. It is mostly personal preference. Ancient Rome is a small and you walk to everything if you like walking. That is all they were doing 2500 years ago. For our four trips we prefer the Termini area for convenience to transportation. Prices are a little bit lower and there are some nice, non-touristy, local restaurants in that area. You can walk to the Vatican from Termini in an hour to hour fifteen. And everything else is much closer. Just about any location between Termini and the Vatican will work.

Posted by
267 posts

we enjoyed the best western hotel canada rome about a 5 min walk to the termini, lots of fun little eating places within walking distance. we walked to all the biggies except the vatican. good luck :):)

Posted by
42 posts

I suggest you choose the main (historic) section of Rome and use Priceline. I got a four star hotel for $240 when 3 stars were going for over $400. Prices are lower now, but it saved me some money. Plus, you pay in American dollars, not EU... so you are not comparing apples to apples if you go to the hotel's websites. I did this in Venice too and got the 5 star Hilton Molino Stucky for $240 as well. (again when the exchange was $1.67 and stuff was way more expensive than now)

Posted by
91 posts

Hi Addie,
We stayed about 15 steps from the Pantheon at Albergo del Senato. I can't say enough good things about the location or the hotel...absolutely fantastic. We walked day and night to everything and we all, including two teenagers, fell in love with this location in Rome. Have fun!

Posted by
23273 posts

We have never paid more than about $150 for three star hotels with great breakfasts in the termini area.

Posted by
85 posts

There are nice convents all over Rome (for good prices) if you're not looking for a fancy room. They're simple, clean, and safe. Most have a curfew of 10:30-11:00pm. My friend and I will be staying in one in a few weeks near the Spanish Steps. It will only cost each of us 37 Euros per night! We're not late nighters, so the curfew isn't an issue. Sometimes you can make reservations by fax or email (I've done that in the past), but this time it wasn't working well so I used a booking agency.

Posted by
23273 posts

But it is a rush to get dinner over my 10:30.