Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Rome

We are spending Dec. 31 through Jan 5 in Rome. My plan is to find an apartment -- I have been looking on vrbo.com -- does anyone have suggestions on what area to stay? I prefer not to be in an area overrun with fellow tourists, want convenience of restaurants, grocery store nearby but also ease of transportation to the sights in Rome. Thanks!

Posted by
32212 posts

Colleen, I doubt that you'll have to worry about being "in an area overrun by fellow tourists" at this time of year. As you want to be located near restaurants, grocery stores, etc., I'd suggest finding something in the Termini area. There are lots of restaurants in the area (check the Guidebook for details), and there's a small grocery store on the lower level of Termini (for the size, it has a great selection of items). Happy travels!

Posted by
410 posts

I think central Rome plenty of tourists most of the yeard, although this time may be quieter than usual. I would second the suggestion of the Piazza Navona /Campo de Fiori area. We stayed in Campo de Fiori several years ago and it was wonderful.......the market each day is fantastic too. From this area you can walk to almost everything in central Rome and there are supermarkets nearby as well as a large number of restaurants and bars.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. Apparently it is a popular time in Rome. I am trying for the Navona area, but so far no luck with availability.

Posted by
1 posts

I stayed at Residenza Zanardelli a few years ago and LOVED it. It's near Piazza Navona and a close walk to many major locations you'll want to see. The number I have for them is +39 06 6864203. I never actually called them so I'm not sure it works. But it's a great place to stay!

Posted by
7569 posts

If you are looking at Apartments, maybe consider the Trastevere. We have stayed there for a week at a time twice now, and find it to be a little more like a neighborhood than the Navona or Fiori area, and certainly a little more pleasant than the Termini area. We did not get an apartment (I was on business) but the place we stayed, Hotel Trastevere, also rents some apartments.

Posted by
31 posts

We use Rick's recommendations for each trip. The best we've had for Rome ~ with a group of 9 of us ladies ~ was staying at the Polish-run convent Santa Elisabetta (tel.06-488-8271, fax 06-488-4066). It was about 5 blocks from Termini and only about a 20 min. walk to the Colosseum. It was "off the beaten path" and so quaint and different (besides affordable!!).