Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Rome?

My husband and I are planning a trip to Rome in Sepember, 2010. Could you recommend a quiet, moderately priced, centrally located hotel? Also, could you recommend restaurants that offer vegetarian foods? Many thanks.

Posted by
1078 posts

Suggest you look at www.santasuasanna.org--it's the Catholic parish in Rome. They have links to several convents and monestaries that you can check out.
I usually stay at Santa Fornaci(?) which is 5 minutes from the San Pietro station and literally 5 minuts from the Vatican.
I also depend on DK's Rome top ten fro resturants.
Hope this helps.

Posted by
1127 posts

Vegetarians should have no problem finding options in restaurants in Italy. The Italian diet is filled with vegetables, it's not just pizza & pasta.

Can you let us know what you mean by "moderately priced"? For one travel that could mean 80e and another 175e.

Posted by
536 posts

Hi Donna - This has been this Italian's choice for many years!!
http://www.hotelforte.com/en/index.htm
Emanuel and Emanuella are the front desk hosts and my friends and they will take Great care of you. The Hotel is located DIRECTLY at The Piazza di Spagna which is about as centrally located as you can get. Easy walking to The Via Veneto, Roman Forum, The Trevi Fountain, and many shops and Cafes just by The Steps. And Donna, if you're a shopper, The number one most expensive shopping street in Rome - The Via Condotti is right in front of the Steps!!! And as you may know if you speak a bit of Italian - La Donna is The Woman in Italian!!!
Have a Great Trip

Ciao, Greg

Posted by
1170 posts

I highly recommend staying in the Trastevere section of Rome. I always stay at the Arco del Lauro (B & B). It's small, quiet, and the innkeeper, Lorenza is very helpful and personable. Trastevere gives you a neighborhood atmosphere without a lot of the tourist trappings, but has a large number of restaurants and a vibrant night life. It is located just across the Tiber river from the ancient sites. Book early!

Posted by
646 posts

We stayed at a lovely b&b near the Vatican and very convenient to public transportation. The name of he b&b is At Your Place. It is very small (five rooms, I think) and Luca the owner is wonderful. Breakfast was great and the price was very reasonable. Recommend it highly.

Posted by
1018 posts

Please define moderate. It means different things to different people. If you could give us some dollar amounts we could offer more specific suggestions.

As for vegetarian restaurants...the selection of pasta, salad, and cheese offerings should suffice. Also, most Italian restaurants serve bread as part of the pane e coperto, which is your cover charge. Generally, everyone eats well in Italy.

Buon viaggio,

RB

Posted by
89 posts

Our first visit to Rome was June 2008. We stayed at the Casa Di Santa Brigida which is a convent dedicated to Saint Brigid. It was fantastic on every level. Beautiful, serene, immaculately clean, private bathrooms, charming breakfast, and perfectly located on the Piazza Farnese which is one block from the Campo Di Fiore. The Piazza Farnese has two beautiful "bathtub" fountains that really enhance the experience. Its location makes walking to all the best sights in Rome, including Trastevere, convenient and thoroughly enjoyable. We're going back to Rome in May 2010 and we're staying with the lovely Sisters at the Casa Di' Santa Brigida again. Here's a link to their website: http://www.brigidine.org/Brigidine/227/229/Piazza+Farnese.html. Don't be fooled by the simplicity of the website. Also, the Casa Di' Santa Brigida is listed in Rick's book.