Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Rome?

We are debating between a hotel across the street from Roma Termini or a hotel across the street from Villa Borghese at Via Pinciana and Corso d'Italia. It's for our honeymoon and will be in Rome for 3 days. We were concern the area around the Termini is dead at night. We want to see Vaticani and all the major sites.

Posted by
1170 posts

I'd choose the area around the Villa Borghese over the Termini any day. For a more quiet "neighborhood" experience, you may want to look into the Trastevere section of Rome.

Posted by
3112 posts

The area immediately surrounding Termini isn't the most charming part of Rome, but it's very convenient for public transportation to the Vatican and other major sights. The Villa Borghese location is at the top of Via Venato, which would be a nice quiet area that's within easy walking distance of many busier areas. Metro would be about a 5-10 minute walk from the Villa Borghese hotel. Trastevere is a great neighborhood for night life, especially on weekends.

Posted by
9 posts

In September of 2008 my wife and I went Italy for our honeymoon and stayed at the SuiteDreams hotel (http://www.suitedreams.it/). The hotel was near the Termini station, but there a few quaint pubs within a few blocks on a major boulevard around the corner that were sufficient for an afternoon drink. Also, most of the major sites (Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, etc.) were within a safe 20 minute walk.

The main reason for recommending this hotel, however, was the modern design and the best customer service I have ever experienced at a hotel anywhere. The owner may be the friendliest man I've ever met while traveling abroad and was always spot on with a recommendation for dinner, usually followed up by a call to the restaurant to ensure a table was waiting for us when we got there.

The hotel is small and nothing decor, but with a modern and spotless decor. Wonderful experience! Check out Trip Advisor if you don't believe me.

Posted by
67 posts

We rented a hotel 2 blocks from the train station. We got in about 10:00 PM and there were lots of people out and about. We felt very safe and found it a convenient location to either take the metro, bus, or train. They are all right there. The Italians are out late in the evenings. We couldn't find our hotel so we asked policemen at their post to point us in the right direction. We walked most places or took the metro. Buses are usually packed with locals in the city, and sometimes standing in the doorways of the buses. We even walked alleys at night. I was leery to be near the Termini area based on what I read online but it is really a very nice area.

Posted by
32212 posts

Anteater,

Either area would be great (after all, it's Rome!). You might have a look at the Italy Guidebook for comments on the various parts of Rome, and suggestions for good Hotels in various price ranges.

I certainly haven't found the area around Termini to be "dead at night". While the station itself is somewhat quieter at night, there are neighborhoods in the surrounding area that are quite vibrant. There always seems to be lots of activity at the sidewalk Cafés and lots of people wandering the streets.

I'll be staying in the Termini area again this spring, near the Piazza della Repubblica this time and I have NO concerns at all about the area being "dead at night". One big advantage of the Termini area is that it provides very convenient transportation links for Trains, Metro and Buses (including the Red Bus tours).

My suggestion would be to base your decision more on the qualities of the Hotel you've chosen (and of course the price range), rather than which area it's in. Any of Rick's recommended Hotels are great.

Happy travels!

Posted by
594 posts

Hands down, Hotel Eden on Via Ludovisi was such a nice treat for me. It is right behind the Spanish Steps and next to Villa Borghese. Plus,you get a nice view of most of Rome from the top of the steps.

Posted by
66 posts

Last year (March) I stayed at Rick's recommended Oceania and found it very nice--reasonable price for Rome, clean, and friendly--highly recommend. We did the Vatican, and Col. from here w/out any problems and there are restaurants w/in walking distance. Not sure how "romantic" Oceania is, but am sure they would give you a special room and treatment if you told them! Patricia

Posted by
4 posts

We stayed at the Residenza Canali near the Piazza Navona. The rate included breakfast everyday and the rooms were large with nice bathrooms. It was also a good central location to do our sight seeing from.

Posted by
59 posts

HI

We went to Italy last Sept 2009. In Rome we stayed at the Hotel Taormina near the station and we were actually pleased with it. Neighborhood is not bad and I felt safe and very quick walk to the station.

http://www.hoteltaormina.net/rooms.htm

I would stay there again!!

Have fun, I love Italy and can't wait to get back.

Posted by
1003 posts

We have stayed at Hotel Smeraldo which is very close to Campo di Fiori and Hotel Italia which if I remember correctly is off of Via Nazionale. I liked the location of the Smeraldo better and they have excellent air cond. for stays during warm/hot weather. Hotel Italia is nice too and has a/c and ceiling fans. We found the staff to be very friendly too.

Posted by
299 posts

You don't say when you are going. I just spent alot of time researching for our family trip in August. Air conditioning - that actually works - is a priority. We booked the Albergo del Senato. I post on Rick's site and got some great recs on the property and neighborhood. It overlooks the Pantheon. Good luck.