Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Rome

I will be travelling in Rome in October but I can't figure out where the best location would be to stay.

Posted by
32222 posts

Kathy, I normally prefer the area around Termini station, as it's so convenient to transportation so makes a good "home base". However for a somewhat distinctive area, the Trastevere area is good also. You might check your local Library or book stores, as the Italy Guidebook has good descriptions of the various areas as well as listings for Hotels and restaurants in each. Happy travels!

Posted by
1589 posts

Kathy, can you tighten up your request. " best" has many meanings.

Posted by
201 posts

You're right I should clarify "best location". I will be in Rome for 4 days and will be travelling by train. I will be coming from Florence and after Rome will be heading to Sorrento. I'm not sure where I should stay during my time in Rome that will be convenient to get to sites and transportation and has good restaurants. I would likely stay in a 4-star hotel but would consider a nice B&B as well.

Posted by
153 posts

We stayed our first night in a hotel near the station (SuiteDreams - was quite nice) and then checked into an apartment near Campo di Fiori. I preferred the location of Campo di Fiori area a lot more, but we needed to cab it with our luggage in/out since the public transportation was lacking in that neighborhood. So, I don't know that it would be great for a short trip. Near Termini would be just fine too, it's just not very charming. You will be close enough to most everything on that side of town and you will be able to easily grab the metro to the Vatican or to the Colosseo.

Posted by
7737 posts

You mention wanting a 4 star hotel. Do you know that the star system in Italy is not a quality rating, but rather one that is determined by what facilities and services they offer, e.g. elevator, parking, 24 hr front desk? There are 2 star places that are much nicer than some 4 star places.

Posted by
62 posts

I know that Termini is recommended in the guidebook but I think the charm of being smack in the historic center can't be beat. I have stayed right near the Spanish Steps, which was lovely and also convenient to the Metro, but I really loved staying right off of Campo dei Fiori, which is so well located that I walked everywhere and didn't need to use public transportation at all.

Posted by
7737 posts

Wow, what guidebook would "recommend" Termini? I mean, it's okay if you're on a budget or need to be near the train station, but there are so many neighborhoods that are nicer. CDF, Piazza Navona, Trastevere, to name a few.

Posted by
62 posts

Michael, I know, right? But it's our very own RS Italy guidebook that skews heavily toward Termini area lodgings. I do love my RS guidebooks, but while staying right smack in the middle of Rome, I was glad I went with my own instincts on this one.

Posted by
11364 posts

Michelle and Michael, IMHO, have it right: stay in the P.za Navona/Pantheon/Campo dei Fiori neighborhood. You are 20-25 minutes on foot from the Colosseum and from the Vatican, and from P.za del Popolo. Busses are nearby that connect to the Metro, too. So interesting at night, so many restaurants and many are reasonable and frequented by locals. Great apartments, very reasonable, http://www.palazzo-olivia.it.

Posted by
201 posts

Thank you everyone for the ideas. I love the idea of being able to walk everywhere so will start looking at the campo dei foro area as well as piazza navona area. Michael, I was not aware about the star rating of hotels in Italy so guess I will be more objective looking than at 4 stars.

Posted by
328 posts

I am also casting my vote for the Campo dei Fiori and Piazza Navona areas. We stayed in the Termini area in 2006, and then stayed literally right next to the Pantheon in 2009. We much preferred our stay in the Pantheon area. So convenient for sites and you can't beat the ambiance. You might want to check out this link http://www.venere.com/guest-houses/rome/guest-house-al-pantheon-con-thomas-mann/#overview. We stayed there in 2009. Great location, great price, average to fair room. We don't spend much time in our room when in Rome anyway. This trip we are staying in an apartamento near Campo dei Fiori. Buon viaggo!

Posted by
2023 posts

We like Hotel Due Torri (***) which is in RS book. It is on a tiny quiet street and a five minute walk to Pantheon, Campo Fiori, etc. Close to many excellent restaurants and the hotel has the best breakfast we have ever had in a Rome hotel. Great staff too. The area around Termini is bleak IMO.

Posted by
1446 posts

Another vote for the Piazza Navona area. We stayed in a great apartment in between P. Navona and Campo de Fiori. The location was fabulous and the apartment was very clean, spacious and comfortable. The apartments are called Palazzo Olivia & the web site is: http://www.palazzo-olivia.it/
The reviews on Trip Advisor are all great and I highly recommend it. While the Termini area is a bit cheaper, I personally would not have enjoyed staying in that area. I prefer to be closer to the action & I'm willing to pay a little more based on better location. It was really enjoyable to be able to walk out of the apartment and within a few minutes be in Piazza Navona or Campo di Fiori or the Pantheon area and stroll around with a gelato in hand. Best wishes for a wonderful trip. Rome is spectacular!

Posted by
249 posts

We'd recommend the Nicolas Inn on Via Cavour. It's walkable from Termini, close to the sights and excellent restaurants. Read about it @ TripAdvisor. Great bargain. Quiet rooms.

Posted by
267 posts

check out the hotel canada rome near the termini it is very nice , gets great reviews on trip advisor. we would go back there for sure. :):)