Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Rome ?

I will be traveling to Rome for 2 nights before departing on a cruise with a friend. This will be my first time traveling internationally. I am looking for input as to the best area to stay in Rome that, of course, isn't too expensive (and do not want to stay in a hostel!) Someone told me to look into staying in a convent or even a Bed and Breakfast. Any suggestions!?

Posted by
23286 posts

Just scan down through a couple of pages of posting and you will see the same question asked over and over.

Posted by
3250 posts

Hi Ashley,

Here's the website that we used to book our last stay in Rome:

B and B Association of Rome

We stayed at Georgia Hill B & B near the Vatican but I'm not sure that's the best location for your cruise departure! Good luck!

Posted by
223 posts

I have stayed at Hotel Cervia a couple times and have been happy with it. Its about a 5-10 min walk from Termini. Its nothing fancy but very reasonable. The owners are very nice.

Posted by
646 posts

We stayed at a lovely b&b near the Vatican and very conveniently located to public transportation. The name of the b&b is At Your Place. I think it is rated #1 on Trip Advisor. Small b&b, lovely owner and great breakfast. Would stay there again in a nanosecond!

Posted by
32212 posts

Ashley,

If possible, have a look at either the Italy or Rome Guidebooks, as they have numerous listings for lodgings in various parts of Rome. As you'll eventually be heading for Civitavecchia to meet your cruise, you might consider staying near Termini station this time.

Actually, Hostels aren't too bad and some have double rooms. I'll be staying in one of the Rome Hostels again this year (can provide the name if you're interested). You might have a look at This website for one example of a Hostel that's more like a B&B. It's owned by a young American couple and is within easy walking distance from Termini. Also have a look at This website for a more "conventional" Hotel (also fairly close to Termini).

Happy travels!

Posted by
466 posts

Try this website: www.cross-pollinate.com It is a bed and breakfast booking agency that is owned and operated by an American family living in Rome. I have used them before and they are great.

Posted by
39 posts

Consider a bed & breakfast or renting an apartment vs. a hotel. I think it adds a lot more “local” feel to your trip and offers a lot of conveniences. Apartments will usually have kitchen and refrigerator, sometimes even washer/dryer. B&B’s offer complimentary breakfasts. Most B&B’s and apartments have free wireless internet as well. If you don’t mind not being in a fancy hotel, you can generally get a better location for the same cost or less if you stay in an apartment or B&B. Some sites to check out are: www.sleepinitaly.com, www.venere.com, and www.italyrents.com. Make sure that when you are considering a specific room/apartment to check what floor it’s on and whether there is an elevator/lift. Stairwells are usually narrow in older buildings in Italy and can be a pain if you have a lot of or larger luggage.

I put together some tips from our last trip to Italy that may be helpful covering everything from accommodations to currency exchange to what to pack, museum tickets, etc. If you'd like I can email you a copy. Just email me.

You'll have a blast in Italy!