Please sign in to post.

where to stay in Rome

What should we look for or watch out for in choosing a neighborhood to stay in Rome? We would like to be able to walk or take a bus to most attractions, but want a clean, safe place to stay. Is the Aventino Hill neighborhood a good place?
Thanks.

Posted by
435 posts

I liked the neighborhood Monti. It's convenient for walking and transportation and it has some character. Aventino was pretty, but sort of boring in the way that all rich neigborhoods all seem alike to me....

Posted by
30 posts

we just got back last weekend. we stayed in an apartment just off Campo dei Fiori and loved it. If you're looking for quiet, this ain't it (though the place has double-paned windows, which we closed, and fans, which we turned on, and then it was quiet). If you're looking for a fun, lively, great-for-people-watching place that's near busses to everywhere and easy walking to Pantheon, etc, this is it.

Posted by
261 posts

We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment next to the Forum. Very quiet, and easy to get to everything. Either on foot or by bus. Very residentail area.

Posted by
3 posts

Our family of four stayed at Hotel Homs on Via della Vite, two blocks off of Via Corso, 3 minutes from the Spanish Steps and also a short walk to Trevi Fountain.

Absolutely awesome location, safe, extremely clean and quiet room and quite spacious as well. Would definitely stay there again.

Posted by
192 posts

I like the Hotel Navona. Great location, within walking distance of everything. It is just a block from Piazza Navona and is quiet, but in the heart of the city.

Posted by
77 posts

We stayed at a great hotel right off Piazza Navona, a beutiful quite location within walking distance to all sights. The piazza is so nice at night, there are lots of performers and such great places to eat. The breakfast is also amazing, they bring it right to your room every morning. What a romantic place! I found the other areas to be noisy and congested.
http://www.hotelteatropace.com/

Posted by
23265 posts

In four trips to Rome we always stay in the Termini area (near the opera house) just for the convenience of the train station and the buses. And it is a bit more reasonable price wise. Hotel Contilia, Sonya, Aberdeen.

Posted by
103 posts

We just returned from our trip to Rome, Assisi and Florence. While in Rome, we stayed at the convent Casa di' Santa Brigida on the Piazza Farnese which is just one very peaceful square away from the fun, lively, vibrant Campo di' Fiore. The convent was spectacular and worth ever moderately expensive penny. Cool, meticuously clean, private bathroom, comfortable beds with exquisite sheets. Piazza Farnese has two beautiful fountains and is shared with French Embassy (Michelangelo designed the third story cornice!)

It is perfectly located in the heart of Ancient Rome. We literally walked to everywhere, except to the Borghese Gallery and on that day we just took a cab. The main bus hub at Largo Argentina is about three blocks away. Awesome shopping on the beautifully Italian cobblestone streets. And an easy walk across the Tiber to Trastevere. Every morning at about 6:30 a.m., my husband walked from the Casa to a sweet little authentically Italian coffee shop for espresso. There wasn't a tourist in sight of this little cafe and he befriended Angelo who makes fabulous cappucino. It's called Bar Farnese. It's tiny with only a few cafe tables and locals getting the morning started. A perfect way to set the pace for the day ahead.

Posted by
1127 posts

The Aventino neighborhood is very nice but it is not near any of the sights. If this is your first trip to Rome I would not recommend it. If you have been to Rome before Aventino would be a great spot to relax and live like a local.

My favorite spot in Rome is Nicolas Inn, www.nicolasinn.com. Great hosts and the Monti neighborhood is fun.