Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Naples

A Naples lodging question: We'll be in Italy the first few weeks of May and will take the train from Rome to Naples the morning after our RS tour. In Naples, we plan to store our carry-ons at the hotel, visit the Archeological Museum, then get an overview of the city (Hop on Hop off bus or RS walking tour) before checking in. The next day we'll take the Circumvesuviano to spend the day in Pompeii and Herculaneum, return to Naples, then leave the next morning on the regular train for Salerno.

Our question is: what part of Naples would be best to stay in that would be relatively close to the train station(s) and the museum? We'd like to be able to walk around and enjoy the city in the evenings - I think it stays light for quite awhile that time of year - so hope to be somewhat centrally located and not in the "grittiest" areas. We like nice but reasonably-priced "local" hotels as opposed to the 5 star types.

Posted by
11169 posts

We didn't want to be near the area around the train station and ended up at Palazzo Alabardieri in the waterfront Chiaia district. It was a local hotel, good service, reasonably priced.
Taxis have fixed rates and it is not difficult getting around. We liked Chiaia as we could walk the lungomare. There are also historic sites to see in the area. You will, however, need to take a museum to the Archeological Museum.

Posted by
15589 posts

For your plan, I'd stay near Piazza Garibaldi. It's gritty (so is most of Naples) but safe. Take the metro from Piazza Garibaldi to the museum. The RS walking tour starts across the street from the museum. On the next day, take the Circumvesuviana from Piazza Garibaldi to the ancient sites. On the last morning, take the train from Piazza Garibaldi to Salerno.

You can walk around until late, just take normal precautions. If you end up far from Piazza Garibaldi, take a taxi. The best pizzerie in Naples are in the historic center, an easy walk from Piazza Garibaldi.

Posted by
13 posts

Thanks! Good suggestions. It really helps to hear from people who've been there and know the city.

Posted by
11613 posts

I would tour Napoli on foot rather than the ho-ho bus. In some cities they are great, but traffic in Napoli is very slow and congested.