Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Cinque Terre?

I am traveling to Cinque Terre for the second time this July (2015). It's just me and my husband. We would like to stay some place clean and QUIET and close enough to walk an al fresco dinner in the evening and the beach during the day. AC would be nice since it is July and I am a light sleeper (so opening the windows might not be the answer). I would also like to be able to hike from village to village. Thanks for your suggestions!

Posted by
15043 posts

The beach is only in Monterosso Al Mare. That is also the largest village, so you will have more choices of accommodations (and restaurants). You can hike from village to village from any of them.
All villages are small therefore no matter where you stay you will be within 5 or 10 min walking distance from everything. They are also all quiet as traffic is virtually non existent in any village and the only other source of noise might be the trains if you are close enough to the railway.
I don't have accommodations to suggest (others here will chime in) but you could check tripadvisor for travelers' recommendations.

Posted by
32173 posts

ca,

I'd also suggest Monterosso for the same reasons that Roberto mentioned - it's the largest of the five towns and therefore has the greatest number and variety of accommodations, restaurants and other tourist amenities. It also has the best beaches of all the towns.

Your lodgings criteria of clean, QUIET, close enough to walk to dinner and beach, with A/C sounds like you're describing Hotel Villa Steno. It's a bit of a walk to get to initially with luggage, but once you're checked in, there's a path down through the garden that leads to the main street (you'll need your room card to access the gate). The owners are absolutely wonderful, the rooms are VERY clean, the A/C works well, and their location slightly above the main part of the old town means that they're somewhat distant from the "hustle & bustle". Most guests will be out sightseeing during the day, so you could just sit on the balcony with a good book and a cup of coffee or glass of Prosecco, and enjoy the scenery (have a look at the photos on their website). One important point to mention though - BOOK ASAP as it's very popular!

You could also try their "sister property", Hotel Pasquale (both owned by the same family). It's close to the water in the old town, but I believe also very quiet and with similar facilities.

One note regarding booking - many of the hotels and other tourist facilities in the C.T. will be now closed for the season, so it may take some time to get a reply to booking enquiries.

Posted by
21 posts

You may also want to check your local PBS station for the new 2014 showing of Rick Steve's Europe. Our Direct TV guide shows that this coming Saturday's show will be about Cinque Terre.

Posted by
4 posts

Does anyone have any comments about Hotel Porto Roca? I am having trouble reaching anyone at Hotel Villa Steno, and I am worried there will be nothing available by the time I do (especially if they are closed until Spring). Grazie Mille!

Posted by
5188 posts

Keep in mind that many of the hotels/b&b, are family- owned & may be closed now
& therefore it may take them longer to answer your request.
I'd give them a few days....

Posted by
32173 posts

ca,

As mentioned in the previous reply, many of the hotels are closed for the season now so they may not be checking their E-mail every day. I'd suggest waiting a couple of days for a reply. July is still a long way in the future, so I'd be surprised if they're totally booked up this early.

Regarding Hotel Porto Roca, it's located at the far end of the "old town", somewhat at the start of the trail to Vernazza. It's a very posh hotel and the views from their balcony are incredible. They added a beautiful outdoor pool overlooking the ocean a couple of years ago. If your budget will allow and if you don't mind a slightly longer walk, that's certainly one possibility to consider. It's only about a 5 - 8 minute walk to the old town and all the restaurants, so still convenient.

Posted by
4 posts

Hotel Villa Steno just let me know they are already full. Thank you for all your help! I suppose it is Porto Roca. The only negative I have read about that in the reviews is that they have paper thin walls and doors. Probably the case anywhere. The last time I was in Europe was before children (10 years), and I have become such a light sleeper since then. My very early trips I slept in Youth Hostels with a bunch of other people in the room and had no problems sleeping :-)

Posted by
32173 posts

ca,

You could also try Hotel Pasquale, which is owned by the same family as Villa Steno, and in a very easy and convenient location, just at the start of the old town by the tunnel.

Another option to try is Villa Adriana, which is at the far end of the new town. It's also very comfortable and they serve a great breakfast. It's in a large building with manicured gardens and resembles a villa.

Hotel Porto Roca is also a good choice if your budget will allow. I wasn't aware of the "paper thin walls" issue, but that may depend on which room you get.

You could also check some of the places on THIS LIST. I believe it's reasonably current.

Posted by
359 posts

I'm just curious. You say this is the second time you've been to the CT. Where did you stay the first time? I'm assuming you didn't like it or you would stay there again and I was just wondering

Posted by
4 posts

It was around 12 years ago, and when we arrived we didn't have a room booked. I can't remember where we went exactly (tourist office maybe), and someone called someone who had a room we could rent. It was great. It was up a lot of steps, and was a studio with a king size bed and one bathroom. I loved the lemon trees and patio outside the room. Maybe it was a studio apartment? I have no idea who to contact to get it again.