Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in Cinque Terre

hI!

Family of 4 here, two teens, looking for a hotel to book in the CT. Rick S recommends staying in Vernazza. Er'tr going in early July.

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks for the info. Is this also the town that people would recommend for families with teens stay at?

Posted by
20 posts

Vernazza is beautiful but if I had teens or better yet if I was still a teen I would prefer Monterosso. It has the largest beach, a great place to swim and just hang out. With the energy level teens have hiking over to Vernazza for lunch or up to the top of any of the towns and back will not be much of a chore. Although hotels are fine have you given any thought to renting an apartment. It would be cheaper and allow for quick and cheaper breakfasts and lunches. It would also allow the kids or even you parents the time to sleep in or even sunbath if you have your own terrace. If there is one place in Italy where kids could just wonder around without worry this is it. I am assumeing they are old enough.

Posted by
158 posts

Hi- My family visited Vernazza when I was 19, my brothers were 16 and 18 and it was one our favorite places we went to in Italy. There is plenty to do and you can always easily hop to another town. We stayed in an apartment recommended by RS, rented by a guy named Egi. It was great, really central, and he was awesome, no view though. But since then his prices have really gone up and there are probably better deals. Vernazza doesn't have a sand beach but there are rocks to swim off of. IMO its the most beautiful of the five towns.

I also stayed in Monterosso during a summer abroad program and it probably is a little more entertaining for teenagers. There are beaches that rent surf boards and kayaks on the "new side". Ask for Diego, he's a surf instructor. But if you have daughters don't let them near him :-)

Another thing your teens may enjoy is the cliff jumping near the train stop in Riomaggiore. Its a lot of fun and safe. There is a designated place where lots of people jump from with different heights 8-30 ft.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you for your messages. I've been in Tuscany before when the small towns are wall to wall people. Does anyone recall being in Vernazza in the sumnmer, and again, would you recommend going to another town? This is for a family of 4, iwth a 13 and a 16 yr old.

thank you!

Posted by
11 posts

Bob-- thanks for your recommendation about the apartments (no. 62?). They are booked when we're there.

They don't have A/C and I'm assuming it's necessary for 4-7 July?

Anyone have opinions on the A/C need I'm assuming that's a yes.

thanks.

Posted by
13 posts

I have not been there yet (will be in May) but our family of four has rented a flat from acasa5Terre (google it just like that). Their rates are good and they have been a pleasure to deal with. They have flats in each of the towns. We are trying Manarola. Have fun!

Posted by
13 posts

My wife and I just returned a few weeks ago from Riomaggiore (CT) and loved our stay with Lorenza at Casa Lorenza. We of course just stayed in a one bedroom upstairs, but there are two other units. Two units upstairs and one downstairs with a kitchen. All private baths. You can see the pictures on her sight to see if it suits your family. The view was one of the most amazing that I have seen and I live in Hawaii. Lorenza is very nice, but English is good enough to get by. The view comes with a bit of a hike.

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks, Justin. I was thinking of staying in Monterossa since it would give my kids more choices of things to do. Any opionions? I will look up the place where you stayed. Thanks.

Susie