Please sign in to post.

Where to go?

My husband and I will be visiting Italy in mid July and August. We would like to spend time in towns that are off the beaten path. Any suggestions? Also how warm will it be during that time? Thank you for your help.

Posted by
32921 posts

Bari is somewhat off the usual US tourist path. Hot, not warm.

Posted by
15266 posts

This is a website with the best "off the beaten path" towns: http://www.borghitalia.it/index_en.php This is the most comprehensive websites about the Tuscan towns and villages:
http://www.borghiditoscana.net/eng/index.html How warm in July? Warm is not the proper word, as Nigel noted. Many years ago I used to travel on business to your town, Aberdeen. Always in July and August. I don't think Aberdeen has ever experienced anything close to the scorching heat that you will experience in Italy in July and August. Italy at night is warmer than the hottest day in July in Aberdeen. Think of Southern California or Florida.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you for the websites. We do not get warm at all here. My husband and I have usually spent the summers in Redding CA. We are somewhat use to heat but not on a continual basis.

Posted by
10260 posts

Redding is HOT, but it's a dry heat as we like to say. I think you might experience some humidity in Italy, but I may be wrong. If I am, I'm sure someone will come back and correct me. Have a great trip!

Posted by
11507 posts

Gayla, if heat is an issue, it will be HOT, so make sure you are at least near water for sea breezes or swims, I personally have a very hard time with heat unless I can jump in water.. pool or beach. You are going at the peak of heat and tourist season, be prepared.

Posted by
7737 posts

Take Pat's advice. I know what you're used to in Aberdeen and Italy could feel like a furnace to you at that time of year. Be sure to get places with air conditioning that you can run both during the day and at night as needed. Don't assume you can do that - Confirm it by email with the hotel/B&B. You might consider staying at an agriturismo and renting a car (with AC). There's one on the border of Tuscany and Umbria that gets great reviews on SlowTravel: Antica Vetrerira Here's a piece that the owner wrote for SlowTravel: Colleen on Matteotti It may be already booked up, but it's worth a shot. Or look into lots of other agriturismo options.

Posted by
12172 posts

Another option for the heat is elevation. Summer is a good time to visit the Dolomites, Italian Alps, or areas in northern Italy that are higher elevations.

Posted by
1589 posts

Try Pistoia- about 20 miles from Florence.