Please sign in to post.

Where to go??

I will be on a trip with my daugher beginning in Florence for 2 days, then to Cinque Terre for 2 days. We need to end up in Heidelberg Germany 2-3 days after that. Any suggestions?? Budget conscious

Posted by
32781 posts

Much as I believe in the RS books and encourage others to use them, I don't see how a RS Italy book can help answer this question. You will be in northwest Italy and need to get to southwest Germany in 2 or 3 days. There is nothing in RS Italy book to help there. You can go through Switzerland via Milan and Basel. The only question is where to stop along the way. Are you driving or taking a train? What time of the year? Either way I would recomend considering Luzern (Lucerne). Its about half way, beautiful with plenty to do and see, not cheap though but then none of Switzerland is. With your more specific answers we can give more specific help.... Happy planning...

Posted by
2 posts

I thought I was missing something in the hill region of Italy, but nothing piqued my interest. We will be traveling by train so that we can see the Alps. Lucern or Zermatt seemed to be the best options for us but a little advice from experienced travelers is always welcome.
Thanks so much for your responses.

Posted by
676 posts

It might be cheaper to fly Ryanair from Pisa, which is about an hour train from CT into Frankfurt Hahn, which is in the sticks but can have someone pick you up or take bus to Frankfurt International and take train to H-berg. You can see the Alps out the window of the plane, forget which side to get seats tho.