Please sign in to post.

Where to buy a step down voltage converter in Rome?

My wife and I are in Rome an the converter we bought didn't support enough watts to power her straightener and hair dryer. I know we could have picked up a converter easily before leaving home, but does anyone know where we might be able to pick one up in Rome? Thanks in advance, Jeremy

Posted by
32213 posts

Jeremy, you might be able to find a Converter at one of the shops in Termini station? For a Hair Straightener and Dryer, you'll need a SOLID-STATE Converter with a capacity of at least 1600 watts. Another option you might consider is to buy a Straightener there, as it will probably work more effectively than a North American model operating via a Converter. Just curious, does your Hotel not provide a Hair Dryer? BTW, you might want to delete your duplicate Thread. Cheers!

Posted by
7569 posts

You may be able to find a solid state one as was mentioned that merely clips the voltage at 120 Volts, but do not use it on anything delicate (unless it is dual voltage, but then you only need an adapter). Otherwise, a "good" converter will be bulky and costly. As also mentioned, consider just picking up a 240 V dryer...or convince her that her hair really looks better "Natural"