Please sign in to post.

When To Book Airfare

We were scheduled to go to Rome > Naples > Amalfi > Rome back in September 2020. Then came COVID. We cancelled and rescheduled for May 2021, cancelled that and rescheduled for September 2021, cancelled that and now are hoping to finally get to go in May 2022. The good news is that over that time we've amassed enough points for an upgrade. Yea!
I know this question has come up many times, but with the chaos of the last year, perhaps there's some new thinking. So, when do you think is the right time to buy your tickets?

Posted by
8424 posts

If you are booking using points or frequent flier miles, do this as soon as you can. There tend to be more choices further out. If not, start watching prices and look for sales. Iceland air just had a big sale that included flights in May. Know what a typical price is for your desired route and jump when the price looks good to you. The industry prediction is for a travel surge next year so you may not find rock bottom bargains.

Posted by
15224 posts

With points, you never know. Usually, earlier is better.

However, no one knows if the flight you get now will be available next spring. And just because you use points for an upgrade now, if your flight has to change, an upgrade may not be available on the new flight.

Posted by
165 posts

Thanks for the advice. We're set on taking the United nonstop from Washington to Rome. We're buying one seat in Business and using a United Travel Credit we've had for two or three years. The other seat we'll buy with points, or Miles as United calls them. The bottom line works out to about $1,200 each round trip in Business.

Posted by
4867 posts

I would advise checking Flight Aware to make sure the flights are actually being flown. What is your origin city? We had purchased flights which, unknowns to us, haven't flown since March 2020.
Good luck!

Posted by
16392 posts

I do not know specifically about United, but most airlines limit the number of “award seats” (booked with miles or points) they offer, particularly in business class. So it best to book well ahead for those. We fly British Airways in business class using Avios ( their name for miles or points) and I book the flights the day the award seats are released, 355 days ahead.