Please sign in to post.

WhatsApp

We've been told that messaging is possible with no charge if you have a WhatsApp account. Can anyone verify this?

Posted by
293 posts

You need data access (either through a mobile company or via Wifi) in order to use WhatsApp. If you are using Wifi from a hotel or so, then it is free to message. But if you want to use it when you are away from wifi, then you need to have data access, either from your home mobile company, or through a sim card that you buy locally (which will only work if your phone is unlocked)--both of which cost something.

Posted by
3831 posts

We are using it on our trip now. We were just introduced by my young niece who will be meeting us next Sunday.

Posted by
6 posts

We've got a few family members on it now, too, so it should be fun to keep in touch while we're traveling!

Posted by
2622 posts

It’s easy to use and pictures and little videos go through better and quicker than vs. my text messaging app.

Posted by
32731 posts

as long as both parties (or all parties for a group call) have the app and access to the internet (data or wifi) real time audio and video calls can be made at no additional charge. Or send audio files, or photos, or messages. Very versatile.

I use it every day to keep up with about 8 or 10 groups and that many international and local friends. Really easy, really good.

Posted by
2047 posts

We also found that many Airbnb and small hotels uses WhatsApp. Makes it very easy to send messages when we haven’t had local phone plans.

Posted by
6 posts

That's also good to know! I'm glad I got on this forum -- so many people willing to share!

Posted by
491 posts

I use whatsapp more often than texting at home - its fast, reliable and I can use it on my computer as well as the phone and send images, videos etc

Its also secure so you can use it to send secure stuff like passwords.

Posted by
39 posts

Wife has smart phone .... I take my small 8" tablet ... takes pictures I desire ... no monthly fee ... use everyone's WiFi ... apartments ... gps maps restaurants and easier to read my emails without enlarging a cell phone screen etc.... use Google street view before our next destination ...... so much info available.... have a great trips y'all