Please sign in to post.

What to Wear?

I read in Travel & Leisure that there are women who can travel to "12 cities in 6 months with two pairs of black pants and a black shirt while working magic with single scarf." I like to travel light but is this a bit too extreme? Otherwise, I may give it a try!

Posted by
1994 posts

The one shirt might be a little challenging logistically, but it's pretty close to feasible. Two pair of pants works fine for me on 3-4 week trips... one to wash and one to wear. Add a couple of long sleeve tops (one a cardigan) and a couple of short sleeve tops, that's all I need. I tend to travel in spring and fall, so the weather can be changeable. If necessary, I figure I can pick up clothes as I go, but haven't had to.

Posted by
3696 posts

I'd like to see that article... My dream is to travel with just my toothbrush (and of course my make up and a camera)

Posted by
1568 posts

I prefer 4-5 blouses and pants. Always 2 black and 2 tan each. If I carry a 5th outfit is must go with black and tan. I go for comfort but I am stylish. We did this for 2 months and 8 countries. Worked just fine. My daughter had to send a lot of clothes home as she kept buy clothes. LOL.

Posted by
11335 posts

One bag that I have to carry myself is my rule, plus a messenger-type daybag that functions as purse/catchall. 3 pants, 5 tops to layer as needed, 2 pair of shoes, a hooded jacket, and I am good-to-go for at least a month. Even in winter all I did was trade the jacket for a longer coat and change my lighter tops for merino wool (dries fast!) and fleece. While I dress more for comfort than fashion, I can dress up black pants and a sweater with pearls and a scarf. The ultimate to me is the No Baggage Challenge http://www.rtwblog.com/about-the-challenge/. I am unlikely to travel the world with only a toothbrush, but I learn that less-is-more every time we travel whether for a weekend or a month.