Please sign in to post.

What to do in Tuscany?

I am going to spending 14 days in Italy from Late September to early October. I am spending 5 nights at Borgo Scopeto Relais where I will have a rental car to explore Tuscany. I am close to Siena so I have plenty of areas to visit. What I am looking for are suggestions on things to do (ie. wine tastings, events, activities). We are the type of couple who are up for anything so nothing is off limits. Any suggestions?

Posted by
9 posts

Wow, two whole weeks in Tuscany! And it will be harvest time too at the vineyards. Definitely think about getting out into the countryside and see the harvest/wine production. The weather should be perfect for travelling, a little less hot than mid-summer which can be too much for some. There are lots of wine/food tours out of Florence: take a look at Slow Days which goes to the smaller, less touristy villages and vineyards. They are here - www.slow-days.com Also, if you are interested in local recipes and regional foods you could try your hand at a cooking class. Cook Eat Italian link here do classes in Florence and full day cooking classes in the Chianti region. Try and hit a wine festival if you can. If you are around for the 3rd weekend in September there is one in Panzano, which though not the biggest, often has a good atmosphere.

Posted by
360 posts

We really enjoyed wine tasting in Tuscany, but you need to book appointments in advance. There are few places with tasting rooms that you can just walk into. As for the hill towns, we liked Montepulciano, Cortona, and Civita de Bagnoreggio (assuming Siena and Sam Gimignano are on your list). Montalcino was great for the wine (we preferred its style over Montepulciano), but didn't have as much to do in the town. Chianti would be great to explore too we stopped at an old castle called Brolio (?) that had amazing views.

Posted by
22 posts

Thank you for the feedback. Especially you Becky. I will do some research and look in to where you went. Sounds amazing! I am getting in to photography so placed with great views would be a bonus!

Posted by
782 posts

Zachary,
The Brolio that Becky refered to is Il Brolio Winery Estate,one of the oldest wineries in the World,you can schedule a tasting there,also Villa Antonari the oldest family owned winery in the world in Greve,first bottling 1053,you can do a tasting and tour there,they also have a great restaurant.

Posted by
22 posts

Thank you Mike. Brolio looks amazing. I will make sure to ride out there. Is it possible to schedule multiple wine tasting and do a custom wine tour at our own leisure? We have a rental car. If so, how far in advance do we need to make the reservations?

Posted by
782 posts

Hi Zachary, You will have to go at the wineries scheduled times,its best to schedule before you leave the states.Antinori has equiptment designed by Leonardo Da Vinci on display and an unbelievable tasting.Il Broglio has a chapel and grnerations of the families suits of armor and weaponry. Here are the web sights www.ricasoli.it Il Broglio www.antinori.it Villa Antinori
Mike

Posted by
8170 posts

Just get out and ramble from town to town. With that much time, you can see just about everywhere.
Consider taking in Orvieto and Civita while you're so close.

Posted by
13 posts

Castello Brolio is available for drop-in tastings and purchases at their cantina, has available tours of the castles' grounds and has a wonderful ristorante--We have never made reservations for any of these-just for more formal tastings amd tours. Verrazano in Greve also has several different tours with tastings that are a lot of fun. Felsina, in Berardenga, has drop in tastings, but the tours must be scheduled. Fonterutoli is also available for drop-in tastings. They are just north of Castellina-in-Chianti.

Posted by
22 posts

Thank you for the suggestions. I do plan on doing a lot of spontaneous traveling from town to town. That is going to be the best part of my honeymoon in my opinion. My only worry is that I will be there for 5 nights and miss something that I truly had to see! I hope to see as much as possible while there. WIth your help I think I will make the most out of it!