Please sign in to post.

What to do in Rome?

We will be spending a week in Rome as a part of a lengthy (seven week) trip to Italy later this year. I have my bucket lists made up for other parts of the trip, but am feeling overwhelmed by Rome. Of course we will visit the Vatican and the sites of ancient Rome. I would be interested in hearing from those of you who have traveled there what sights you have most enjoyed. Thanks in advance. Edited to add that we will be there in late September/early October.

Posted by
11375 posts

What time of year? Heat of summer, moderate fall? Do you like museums and art, ancient sites, churches, outdoor activities or all of the above?

I like to plan one big site or activity a day when I am traveling, then leave the rest of the day to our whims. That one activity can take a whole day (Vatican Museums, St. Peter's and the Scavi turned into an 11 hour day our first time in Rome) whereas the Galleria Borghese is a two hour museum visit allowing plenty of time for a walking tour as well.

If you are coming in the height of summer, there are also some special after-dark activities that are nice, like the night opening at Castel Sant'Angelo.

Posted by
11375 posts

I meant to add some of the less-frequented sites:

• Palazzo Valentini a wonderful multi-media show in Roman ruins

• Case Romane on the Celio

• Villa d'Este in Tivoli

• A walk up Monte Mario or the Gianicolo

You might like the book "24 Great Walks of Rome" or "Rome the Second Time." Each offers some unusual itineraries.

Posted by
10344 posts

"I would be interesting in hearing...what sights you have most
enjoyed."

Click below to see what Rick Steves most enjoys in Rome:
https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/italy/rome

It's a pretty good list.
Just to list my favorites would take a few pages, but Rick has already done that.

Posted by
1825 posts

Laurel's advice to plan one thing per day is good. With a week you have time to see a lot. Cut out the Rome section from the book and carry it with you. Some of my best experiences came from deciding to see things on the fly based on what was close by. While the big attractions are great, my fondest memories are of things we just happened upon and having Rick's guidance on hand was always a plus.
When I see people post busy daily itineraries I am amused knowing the best laid plans always go awry. The energy I spend obsessing over details is great to prepare for the trip but I always laugh at myself afterward knowing that things never work out as planned. My wife on the other hand just wants to be surprised with whatever we come up with.
People rarely include time to sit and people watch or relax at a cafe which can be some of the most enjoyable parts of a trip. It is a vacation after all.

Posted by
4904 posts

Consider a trip out to Ostia Antica just outside Rome. It is the original site of Rome and is quite a different change of pace. You can get there on public transient quickly and cheaply. Google it and see what you think. It is closed either Sunday or Monday -- can't remember which.

Posted by
4162 posts

We had the good fortune to have a private tour by Ron in Rome when he was in Rome. My favorite place was one he took us to that I knew nothing about, the Basilica of San Clemente. It has layers that go down to the 1st century and include very early examples of Christian worship as well as worship of the cult of Mithras.

The previous link goes to a Wikipedia article. This one goes to the Basilica's website in English.

Posted by
5 posts

My family is also going to Italy this summer and I have been inspired by the Italian movie "The Great Beauty," which came out in 2013. It is filmed all around Rome and really shows what a gorgeous city Rome is. A couple of the places that I haven't been before (I've been to Rome once, many years ago) that I intend to visit are the Parco degli Acquedotti, Le Terme Di Caracalla, and the Fontana dell'Aqua Paola. I also really love gardens and want to visit the Villa d'Este, which is supposed to be spectacular.

Posted by
693 posts

I agree with Laurel's suggestion of Palazzo Valentini (Le Domus Romane).

Make sure you book ahead as the visit is in a small guided group.

Posted by
91 posts

I second the Basilica of San Clemente. It is near the Colosseum.

Posted by
11613 posts

So many things to do in Roma! If you have time for a daytrip, Ostia Antica is a great choice, but for a different feeling go to one of the Castelli Romani, small hill towns near Roma. Castel Gandolfo, Frascati are lovely to visit, in addition to Orvieto.

Posted by
1046 posts

One of my favorite things about Rome is that if you've had enough of one century or civilization all you have to do is turn the corner and you're in a a completely different era. And oh the discoveries you will make! Make a list for the "must do" places but leave time for the countless surprises! 1 week? I spend 2 every year and have always come away with new stories to tell and new pictures to show.

Posted by
15607 posts

I enjoyed the RS audio walking tours - you can do the Jewish Ghetto and Trastevere tours together. The Borghese would be a must-see for me (you must book in advance). Este/Tivoli is still on my list. There's also an RS audio tour for Ostia Antica. The Doria Pamphilj Gallery is a good place to keep in mind if you get a rainy day. Every church has treasures. One of my favorites is San Luigi dei Francesi (with its Caravaggios) very close to the Pantheon.

Posted by
7737 posts

Consider a trip out to Ostia Antica just outside Rome. It is the original site of Rome

Um, no, Ostia Antica is not the original site of Rome. (Rome was founded on the seven hills where it still is.) Ostia was the ancient seaport of Rome. And it actually happens to still be part of Rome, as one of our Roman friends often points out. (^_^)

That said, it is a wonderful way to spend about 3-4 hours. Like Pompeii but without the crowds. It's closed on Mondays.

Posted by
232 posts

A second (or third) vote for Basilica San Clemente. Fascinating -- don't pay the man standing outside with the basket he has nothing to do with the church.

We really enjoyed the Eating Italy tour of Trastevere.

Definitely download the RS audio guides. The Sistine Chapel one really helped me appreciate the context of the work. There are also guides for the Collesium and walking tours.

Posted by
933 posts

Castle St. Angelo, And Ostia Antica. These turned out to be the 2 most important sites for us. There were others, but these are the ones we still talk about many years later because they are so complex in history.

Posted by
4904 posts

Michael from Seattle, Thanks for the clarification about Ostia Antica. Not sure how I acquired that misunderstanding . At any rate it is still a very cool place to visit.

Posted by
243 posts

The Galleria Borghese is one of my favorite museums. If you enjoy sculpture or Bernini's, make sure you go here. I took the guided tours both times and it was well worth it.

Make sure that you allow time to explore the small, winding streets away from the touristy areas. Many great shops and places to have an espresso or glass of wine. These may not be blockbuster sights, but they are moments to enjoy and savor.

The RS Italy books has many "small" churches that have one work of art. These are small time commitments, do not cost anything and are very interesting (at least I thought they were).

Do something that you enjoy to do back home and do it in Rome. If you're a sports nut, see a soccer game, etc. I am a runner and ran in Villa Borghese and felt like a local (especially on the second day).

Posted by
15607 posts

Ostia was the original site of the port of Rome. That's probably where the confusion set in. Loved it - Ostia, not the confusion :-)

Posted by
107 posts

Galleria Borghese for sure a must, BUT make sure to buy tickets ahead of time on line. There is a beautiful restaurant on the hill, 5 stars!
Also, we did a wine tasting in Rome, Roscioli and you need to also make reservation on line before you go. Really fun thing to do. There are usually 10 people you sit and taste wines and eat. Highly recommend. Do not be surprise if you are from the States, he will make fun of our Napa Valley in California.

Posted by
96 posts

I am amazed that rarely is mentioned The Baths of Diocletian.

This building could hold abour 1500 people at one time ... it is huge. BUT at one time part of it was converted to a Cathedral. On the outside it has no appeal, just rough sides, I think the marble might have been striped off and used for something else.

But go inside and it takes your breath away. It is a combination cathedral and observatory. There are ( or is one ) oculus and a strip of metal inlain in the marble floor. On the days of the Spring and Autumn Equinox the sun hits this strip of metal right on spot. There are other places where you can observe the heavens. the different planets. When we were there there was a nice historical display of Galileo's life and accomplishments. It didn't intrude on the cathedral at alll. That is the first thing I am going to see this Sept when we go.

And also below the Duomo in Florence. We foundit by accident. Several layers of history. Bits of Roman roads, parts of early Christian church, Brunelleschi's tomb is there and also many are iterred below. We spent several hours there, just walking around i n amazement.

Sometimes when you wander you find these jewels

.Enjoy !!!