Please sign in to post.

What's new in Rome that we shouldn't miss?

We're heading back to Rome for a quick visit soon. Our last visit was about 10 years ago. I'm curious about what's new? I heard that Augustus's Mausoleum is now open for visitors starting last year. Is there something special you've discovered? Other suggestions?

Posted by
3812 posts

The Domus Aurea (open only on week-ends) and the first Exhibition of the Torlonia Marbles in 40 years. Advance reservations are required.

I also think that the Quirinale Palace was more difficult to visit 10 years ago, but I'm not sure.

Posted by
26829 posts

There may be COVID-related changes in ticket procedures for some long-standing sights, possibly a need to get tickets in advance where one used to be able to just walk up. I'd definitely check the websites of all the places I knew I wanted to go.

Posted by
15677 posts

Jude, was your visit 10 years ago your one-and-only trip to Rome? I guess I'm wondering what isn't new but you hadn't get seen? Might help if we knew what you've already covered?

Posted by
15 posts

Thank you all for the responses.
Kathy - We’ve spent a lot of time in Rome having lived there for more than a year. But because it’s been so long I’m happy to revisit things and potentially be reminded of things we loved!
Dario - We hope to see both Domus Aurea & Torlonia Marbles. Thanks for the suggestions. We did see Quirinale Palace back 10 years ago.
Alan - Didn’t know about Palazzo Valentini. Looks interesting.
Ciao, ciao

Posted by
15677 posts

We’ve spent a lot of time in Rome having lived there for more than a
year.

Lucky you!!!