Please sign in to post.

What do you think of my itinerary?

Here's the plan. Advice, suggestions, improvements, criticism - all are welcome. I land in Rome at 9 a.m. on Wednesday, February 8 and leave from Rome on Thursday, February 23 at 10 p.m. Days 1-3 (Wed-Fri) in Rome. Day 4 (Sat) take the 9 a.m. train to Naples (70 minutes), store luggage and spend the day in Naples, the archeological museum and whatever else I have time for. Take the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento in the early evening (Magi Hotel). Days 5-6 (Sun, Mon) Visits to Herculaneum and Pompeii. Sleep in Sorrento Day 7 (Tue) after breakfast, travel to Salerno and drop luggage at the hotel (Hotel Plaza) "across from the train station." Explore Salerno Day 8 (Wed) visit Paestum, return to Salerno to sleep. Days 9-11 (Thu-Sat) If the weather is good, return to Sorrento to explore the Amalfi Coast (Sorrento, Ravello, Positano. . . ) by bus. If the weather is grey and rainy, go to Florence instead. Return to Rome by train on Saturday evening (there's a big parade in Rome on Sunday morning, transportation will be all messed up). Days 12-16 (Sun-Thu) Rome. This includes Mardi Gras and Ash Wednesday. While in Rome I plan to take day trips to Ostia Antica, Villa Adriana, Villa d'Este and Orvieto. I also plan to spend one full day at the Vatican. PS - if anyone is in any of these places when I am and would like to meet up for a drink or dinner or sightseeing, that would be great.

Posted by
11466 posts

Hi Chani.
We just returned from a month in Italy and hit many of these same locations. We spent 9 days in Rome and never ran out of things to do and see, but we really took our time, did a lot of walking and exploring. One recommendation I have is to hire Gaetano Manfredi for a private tour of Pompeii, if you budget allows. He charged us 200 euros, and it was worth every centissimi. Also, you might benefit from one of the Naples-area passes, the Campania Artecard. They are a little confusing but can mean some big discounts, and some versions include transporation. http://www.artecard.it/. Herculeneum is very interesting and in my opinion best viewed after a good tour of Pompeii and the National Arch. Museum (which is great!). In Sorrento, I highly recommend the moderately proiced Da Gigino restaurant. Many places are quite over-priced, but not Da Gigino. Family run, very nice, good food. Also, the Correale Museum is often overlooked in Sorrento, and was quite informative. It's a good place to go if it rains. :-) If you like in situ art, see the Caravaggios at San Luigi dei Francesi in Rome. They are amazing! It's near Piazza Navona. Sounds like a great trip!

Posted by
4152 posts

Hi Chani, I posted a reply to this question on the TA forum. There are a few things I would change around to cut out some of your travel and hotel changes but otherwise it's a very doable plan. Donna

Posted by
30 posts

Maybe you would like to add a boat ride over to Isle of Capri, well worth the visit.

Posted by
653 posts

Chani, sounds like a great plan. About the boat ride to Capri: if the weather is bad, you won't be able to see much (hilltops get covered in fog). If you can get to the Catacombs in Rome (you can do this by bus), it might be an interesting half-day. The Jewish Ghetto is one of my favorite afternoon walks (Rome has the oldest documented Jewish community in Europe), be sure to visit the Synagogue (squarish dome rather than round) and the adjacent museum.

Posted by
15667 posts

Zoe, which catacombs - Domitilla or San Sebastiano? San Callisto will be closed.