Please sign in to post.

Weather in October?

I've always traveled to Europe in the summer ... I'm going to Italy this October (1st - 19th).

I'm wondering how cold or hot it may be at that time of the year. Wondering what I'll want to have in the way of clothing ... if I'll want my capris or only long pants.
(We'll be in Venice, Florence, and then on the RS Village Italy tour which goes as far south as Orvieto and as far north as Lake Orta.)

Posted by
10344 posts

This is a frequently asked question here: what will the weather be in ____ in the month of _____. Weather varies so much from year to year that, honestly, no one here knows what the weather will be when you're there. The best info we can give you is

to go to this website

input your locations and dates. You'll be surprised at how much you learn there, and then you'll know what clothing to bring.

Posted by
319 posts

Early Oct. is great. We don't trun our heat until after the 15th of Oct. so even nights are fairly mild. You will want a light weight rain jacket because up in the north it Oct. is our rain season.

Posted by
12172 posts

I've had great travel weather in Italy in October. I think it's one of the best times to be in Italy. We had occasional light rain but avoided some heavier rains by sheer luck, pack a good water-proof rain jacket. The weather was comfortably cool to comfortably warm. If anything, there were times when we were too warm but never felt really cold.

Posted by
1883 posts

Yours in not a dumb question. It's easier to ask here than to do a search on the web for info...that's why this board exists.

From my experience.- I was in Rome first week of November in 07 and it was a bit cool, but not cold. Rome is farther south than were you will be, but I'm betting you will have great weather. As always, plan for rain, and bring a few warmer layers. A lightweight fleece piece, or Merino wool, or even silk layers, a rain jacket, sweater, etc. You could bring both one pair of capri pants and one pair of long pants.

In the past, I've rolled my long pants to capri length when it got warmer during the day- if you pants look "ok" to you when rolled, then just bring the long pants. For one week, you won't need much in the way of clothing. I got by with just one pair of pants for my week in Rome. I took up space in my carry on bringing a clean shirt for each of my 6 days in country.

Early Oct is still early fall, like in the US, you can experience some cooler nights (especially in Venice, on the water, Florence should be warmer)

have a great time!

Posted by
421 posts

I was told before in planning my trip in which I will be in Florence adn Venice early to mid october from a local to expect nice weather, warm, chance of showers but that it is one of the nicest times of year to travel.

Posted by
255 posts

Both of our trips to Italy have been in October and they were great weather wise. Our last trip, we were in Venice in mid-October and the temperatures were surprisingly mild. Early morning and late night you might need a light jacket, but everything in between was mostly comfortable.

Posted by
466 posts

I was in Italy 2 years ago at the beginning of October and the weather was great. Cool in the morning and evenings and rather hot during the afternoon. I needed a light jacket in the AM and PM.

Posted by
8 posts

I go to Italy every fall and the weather in early Oct is gorgeous. Cool not cold mornings and evenings and fairly warm afternoons. As you get later into Oct the rains start. Check accuweather.com as they always seem to be right.