Please sign in to post.

Weather in October

My husband and I have a trip to Italy planned for October 12th to the 27th. We are flying into Milan and out of Rome. What is the weather like around Lake Como and Venice in the fall?

Posted by
927 posts

Wonderful temp wise, but plan on some rain. Its very much luck of the draw on the rain, since once you get your tickets you will be committed. We lucked out last year in the same time frame. It rained for near two weeks before, and then rained after we left.

Posted by
12172 posts

I can tell you what we experienced in October. I think our dates were the 16th through the 3rd of November. We started by driving into Veronna from Austria via the Brenner Pass.

It had been clear but really cold in Germany and Austria when we left (though it was nice a week earlier).

We came into Italy and had overcast skies but very comfortable temps. In Venice we had a very light sprinkling rain one evening but barely enough to get damp, again comfortable temperatures. We had sun with only occasional clouds through Tuscany, Luguria (although rain had closed trails for a short while the week before we arrived in CT) and Umbria warm days/a little cool in the evenings.

In Rome we had the closest thing to real rain one night. It was enough to want an umbrella but not enough to create puddles in the streets.

Overall the temperatures were a little cool for basking on the beach but perfect for traveling. I would take October in Italy over hot, muggy and crowded summer travel any day.

Posted by
17 posts

Thank you everyone for your comments. We're looking forward to our trip rain or shine. Kathy