Please sign in to post.

Weather in Italy

I am planning on going on the two Rick Steve Tours, Rome and Florence from 4/13/-26/08 or the early part of October 2008. Has anyone been there during that part of the year in either April or Oct? Which month is better to travel weather wise. I went last year to Florence at the end of May and it was very hot. Hoping to pick a time which is warm so you can sit outside and enjoy the weather and wear short sleeve tops and people watch having a drink in the large squares, but not be cold or super hot.

Posted by
390 posts

We were there (Rome) the second week of April. Rained the first day in Rome, but then it was 70's and sunny. Cooler at night, probably around 55-60.

Posted by
2030 posts

I was in Venice and Florence in late October a couple of years ago, and I thought the weather was perfect -- mild, perfect for walking. I hung out in St. Mark's square at night and it was wonderful -- same for Florence. I much prefer cooler weather to hot anytime.

Posted by
5471 posts

Hi Ann,
I've been to Italy in both April and October. Personally I prefer April for one reason ... it is light later into the evening. In April it will be light until about 8pm. Both months are nice times to travel with comfortable temperatures.

Posted by
551 posts

Just got back from two weeks there last week. Weather was wonderful, temperature average...Rome 78/60, Florence 70/50, and the Cinque Terre 65/50. Perfect time to be there because of weather and less tourists. Rained a couple of days, but if you take layered clothing and light jacket, you will be very comfortable.

Posted by
486 posts

Just got back from two weeks there last week. Weather was wonderful, temperature average...Rome 78/60, Florence 70/50, and the Cinque Terre 65/50. Perfect time to be there because of weather and less tourists. Rained a couple of days, but if you take layered clothing and light jacket, you will be very comfortable.

I got home yesterday. A few days ago, the temperature dropped 20 degrees F and we froze. Since they couldn't turn on heat until Nov 1, it was cold in the place we stayed too.