Please sign in to post.

Weather and travel tips for Italy in October 2023

My friend and I are going on the Villages of Italy tour next October and would love some feedback on weather or anything related to this tour. My husband and I went on the Best of Italy 17 day tour in June 2019 and loved it! We did have a heat wave though so it was pretty warm. Not sure how to pack for fall though n Italy so appreciate any tips on that or things to see/do that you found enjoyable. We both love to cook and garden so ideas along that would be welcomed too!
Janet

Posted by
15043 posts

October is hard to predict. Some years is unusually wet, others (like this past October) is unusually warm. Generally is not cold, but occasionally it may happen. Toward the end of the month, the possibility of rain increases. The best strategy is to check the weather for the locations where you will be on one of the many weather websites just before going. That should give you a reliable forecast for at least a week or so. But be ready to dress in layers as temperatures drop in the evenings even when warm during the day, and carry a portable umbrella (or buy one there) because rain in October is always a possibility.

Posted by
694 posts

We packed in August for expected cooler weather in October and 1st week of November in Assisi, north of Parma and in Bologna. It didn’t happen. We were still having dinner outside in Bologna before we departed on 05NOV. However, thinking layers will be best. I had a puffer vest with me which I wore maybe 3 times, but was glad for it as my only other jacket was a heavy denim. I had 2 LS light weight merino wool tops too and they were good with the jacket for the slightly cooler evenings.
That was October, early November this year. Next year is probably anyones guess. There are a couple of websites that do reasonably well for tracking past weather patterns. Mostly, I hoped I could mix and match well enough to be comfortable!

Posted by
13809 posts

I did this tour a number of years ago in October and just finished Best of Italy Oct 16, lol. I am not very heat tolerant so I thought some days were quite hot for my Best of Italy trip. Same for Village Italy although years ago.

• I'd have a waterproof rain jacket with hood for sure. Not water repellent...waterproof.

• I wear capris when it's hot so for myself I'd plan on 2 pr capris and 1 pr of long pants to wear on the plane. (I try to pack light!)

• I'd have mostly short sleeve shirts with a long sleeve sun shirt. I just did the whole BOI wearing the same white Eddie Bauer Destination 2.0 sunshirt the whole time (over SS tee shirts). I was shocked that it never got dirty even in the end when I was TRYING to get dirt on it, lol...leaning up against walls in the Rome Metro, leaning against park benches, etc, lol.

• I always travel with a LS quarter zip pullover shirt. I wear it on the plane and it's good in case it's cooler than I think it might be especially layered under the rain layer.

• I would also recommend you have your wardrobe in mind and watch the weather forecast up to a few days before you leave. If it looks like it will be cooler, add a LS layer and another pr long pants. If it looks hot, well, you're set!

As far as things to see and do:

I'd plan to arrive in Padua at least one night ahead of the tour start and 2 if you can manage it. I found a LOT to do in Padua and since you are a gardener you'll love the botanical gardens there. The tour usually stays in the Hotel Al Fagiano which is very near the gardens. I underestimated how much there was to do so we only had a short afternoon to spend there and we could have spent WAY more time exploring the gardens and greenhouses. SIL has an advanced degree in horticulture, my brother had a career as a forester and I just like gardens, lol.

You could also add time on in Venice if you enjoyed it on Best of Italy. You know your way around so it will be easier this time! You'll probably fly in to Venice anyway?

At the end, I do not recommend an extra day in Orta San Giulio. I had us staying an extra night and we were done by noon and ready to move on. I would spend 2 nights or more in Milan at the end especially if you are interested in the Last Supper fresco and in visiting the Duomo and/or any of the other museums in the area.

This is a fun tour! VERY different from Best of Italy although you do see visit some of the same areas. It's much more experiential...wine tasting, olive oil tasting, we had a honey tasting (don't know if that is usual or not). I loved being in some of the smaller places!

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you all so much for your very helpful tips and comments, I really do appreciate it! I’d love to do this trip go in May or September but our weather at home is usually so beautiful that I hate to miss it!
Warm regards, Janet

Posted by
378 posts

Fall weather in Italy is about as predictable as fall weather in Ohio!

On our 2 week trip last month it poured down rain the first day we were there, and then it was dry and warm (mid 70s) the rest of the time. I recommend packing a small umbrella - we did not and had to buy some at the airport, but they ended up being a nice souvenir

Posted by
658 posts

Village Italy tour was my very favorite RS tour! We went in 2019 in late August and it was quite warm. The way things are going, it might still be warm in October.

We went several days early and stayed in Venice because we'd never spent much time there. I also agree with the previous poster who recommended staying a day or so in Padua. So many choices.

At the end of the tour we went to Lake Como for a couple of days. Lots more to do there than Lake Orta, where the tour ends. The tour guide helped set up vans to get everyone to Milan, and we took the train from there to Varenna. Then we returned to Milan for two nights before flying home.