Please sign in to post.

Weather

Hi everyone- I'll be heading to Italy in October (8th-24th and hitting Venice, Florence, Rome, Cinque Terra & Sorrento)and was wondering if anyone knew roughly what the temperature is at that time of year. I've checked weather.com and also Rick's book but it only gives averages; I just don't feel that that is an accurate representation since that's based on years of data. Any info would be greatly appreciated, especially since I'm trying to follow advice and pack light! =)

Thanks in advance!

Posted by
1880 posts

It's still warm in the southern part of Italy. Expect some rain, so pack accordingly. It will be a bit cooler at night too, so a light piece of fleece is advisable.

We were in Rome in late Oct/early November last year, and it was wonderful, we managed to not have any rain, the sun was shining the entire trip, until the very last day!

Several years ago I was in the CT in early October, no tourists on the trail, and even being further north, we had sunny days, cool nights and nice hiking temps.

Each year is different, so just pack for the worst (but lightly) and you will be fine.

Fall in Italy is great.

Posted by
192 posts

I lived in Italy for several years near Venice. The weather in October will be pleasant for the most part. But it also can be quite cool and rainy. That time of year you will have to be prepared for both. I would trust the weather predictors - there years of data will be more accurate than someones one time experience. Add 10 degrees to there highs and subtract 10 degrees from there lows and that is the range you will get.

Posted by
582 posts

I was in Rome in the first week of November in 2005.
Rome was as hot as Texas! When I went to Florence, it was cool and rainy.
This November I'll be in Milan and Venice.
Yip! Layers, layers, layers!!

Posted by
88 posts

Shari,
Go to weatherunderground.com and select the tab for trip planner. It allows you to enter dates and locations and will provide a history of temperatures and weather conditions. I have found this to be very helpful on a variety of trips. No guarantees though, :)

Posted by
56 posts

Thank you to all of you who responded, it was very helpful information.

Jean, I went to weather underground and did what you said; what a great tool! I've bookmarked the site and will remember to use it for any trip I take in the future.

Thanks again!

Posted by
12172 posts

We went through Verona, Venice, Modena, CT, Florence and Rome and stops in between from mid-October to early November. The days were comfortable to warm, the nights were comfortable to slightly cool. We had very light sprinkles one night in Venice and a light rain one night in Rome. Other than that it was overcast about half the time, sunny the rest. It was humid; I could see how it would be miserably hot and humid in July and August. We had some mosquitos in our hotel rooms but didn't notice any while walking around.

All in all, I would much rather see Italy in October than summer. There were still crowds but apparently nothing compared to high season. Reservations still helped at the major sites but could be made 24 or 48 hours in advance.