Please sign in to post.

Wearing Jewelry

A friend of mine said she did not wear her engagement ring or wedding ring when she went to Italy for fear it would be stolen. Another friend told me to not wear nice jewelry and it's best to not wear any at all. I really don't understand this. I have vacationed in NYC and worn my nice jewelry and did not feel the need to not wear it in fear of being robbed or mugged. I can't imagine not wearing my wedding ring in Italy. I never take it off, not even in the shower. Thoughts?

Posted by
2625 posts

I don't bring any jewelry of value. I bring very little.... a pair of silver hoop earrings and little else. I used to bring a few little trinket rings of very little value but I find that my fingers swell over the course of the day since we walk about 15 miles a day and the rings become uncomfortable. If you're talking about a showy ring with a large diamond, I guess I would skip it. If you're talking about a little wedding band, you'd probably be fine.

Posted by
23315 posts

Just a matter of common sense and not calling attention to yourself with a lot of flashy jewelry. Your wedding ring is fine unless it s 5 c stone. If always riding in taxis rather than subways and buses than you are OK.

Posted by
7330 posts

Sometimes I just wear a small wedding band instead of wearing my ring. I don't take any jewelry that I would feel bad about losing, and my wedding ring is extremely sentimental since part of it came from my parent's ring.

When I travel to Europe or even in the US for vacation or for work, I take a couple of pair of earrings and sometimes an inexpensive necklace. Mostly, I'm accessorizing with colorful scarves for two reasons - they are lightweight and I can change up how I wear them.

Posted by
74 posts

Many people tell me to accessorize with scarves. I am not a scarf person. Wish I were. Tried but no can do! Lol. A few pairs of inexpensive earrings, perhaps one small necklace and a watch and bracelet is all I was thinking of bringing. I'd prefer to just wear my engagement ring and wedding bang rather than leaving them at home. I can't imagine that no one in Italy wears an engagement ring or nice wedding band.

Posted by
565 posts

Do as you would do at home. The only reason I don't bother is during the winter months when I'm wearing gloves or a hat as it catches rings or earrings. I've worn my jewelry everywhere and had no problems but if you are botherd, lock it up! Best to be enjoying your time and not counting bracelets!,

Edit: full disclosure, I wear a not terribly small ring and diamond band and earrings all over Europe. No one has bothered me even though I've been assaulted on a train (didn't care to rob me!).

Posted by
7042 posts

I don't own any really expensive jewelry, mostly just costume stuff so it's not a big worry for me, but others have always told me not to wear or take anything of value (either monetary or sentimental) that would leave you crushed if you lost it. Maybe possible theft was one reason but mostly just the idea that you could lose it, either leave it behind in a hotel room or just misplace it. I didn't listen because, like I said, I wasn't bringing any ostentatious or valuable jewelry; but I did have a ring with sentimental value that I wore everyday and felt I'd feel naked without it. Sure enough, I was getting on a vaporetto in Venice and as I was grabbing my sweater from a friend the boat bounced on some waves, I lost my balance and my ring caught on my sweater and got pulled off my finger and, you guessed it, it now resides on the bottom of the grand canal in Venice. I was distraught for a couple of days but of course I did get over it in time, but I still sometimes think about it and wish I hadn't brought it. Stuff happens.

Posted by
11507 posts

Numerous ( as in dozens and dozens ) of trips to Europe.. I always bring my costume jewelry.. I like necklaces .. and I always wear my engagement and wedding bands.. they are however not flashy , I think it would be foolish to bring any piece of jewelry that is overly flashy and expensive.. firstly because of losing it.. lastly because of theft.. I think you are more likely to forget it by a bathroom sink then have it stolen.

I have a few pieces of jewelry that I am very sentimentally attached to( moms pearls etc) .. I never bring them as I would hate to lose them .

I would never rely on scarves to assesorize.. they are too hot for me in summer ( yes even the cotton gauzy ones) and I have a shorter neck so scarves are not best choice anyways. I do bring one usually just as an emergency head cover or shawl.

Posted by
2393 posts

We both wear our wedding and engagement rings - yes he has an engagement ring too. The rings do not come off. Other than that I take costume jewelry - not a scarf person here either.

Posted by
4161 posts

I never was a scarf person either until I started traveling. Scarves are a great way to pull an outfit together or to build a travel wardrobe around. I also have a short neck and can't tolerate turtlenecks. But I've become accustomed to scarves, even in warm humid weather. Then they are good for the sweat.

They are also good to protect your blouse from that olive oil or marinara sauce which will inevitably hit your chest somewhere in Italy. It's much easier to wash and dry a scarf back at the room than a top.

I only use long, slender, loosely woven scarves. They seem to work best for me. No slithery silk or polyester. Nothing square. Nothing expensive. Most of mine are from Target, TJ Maxx or deeply discounted at a department store.

About the jewelry, I wear my wedding ring when I travel with my husband. When I travel alone, I wear a substitute. Besides the obvious sentimental value, my wedding ring has a large green tourmaline that has been mistaken for an emerald. I don't want to take any chances.

The other jewelry is usually 2 pairs of earrings, 1 necklace and what I buy on the trip which I always wear. Jewelry is my favorite souvenir. Immediate gratification and easy to pack.

I always wear a watch, a cheap Timex with both 12 and 24 hour dials.

Posted by
11352 posts

I do as I do at home, and since my home is in Italy, I wear my rings and any jewelry I feel like wearing! I wear a decent watch, silver or gold earrings, etc.

Posted by
524 posts

You will be fine. Saying that, I didn't actually take my wedding rings...only because I was afraid I would forget them somewhere. 10 days, 4 different hotels and tons of small stuff all over our dressers, etc.

What I did was buy some fakes that look incredibly real...cost $25 from a little costume jewelry store on St. Armand's in Sarasota. The diamond was a little larger than mine and was fun to wear something different, no one would have known the difference.

Posted by
3208 posts

If you always wear your wedding rings, then wear them. There are times I do turn the gem inward to my palm, but I do that here as well. Then it just looks like two bands. Otherwise, I leave my good earrings at home...because I don't want to lose them.

Posted by
74 posts

Wray,

That's exactly what I do when I wear them. I turn the the stone underneath when I feel I need to. All other jewelry I wear for this trip will be costume.

Posted by
15839 posts

I think the biggest reason it's recommended not to bring bling that you would be heartbroken if lost is not theft as much as accidentally leaving them behind in the packing up and moving on process. It's easier to remember where you took your rings and earrings off at home but also easier than you may think to just run off to the train and leave them on a bathroom sink or nightstand in the hotel. I've done it but fortunately not with a valuable, irreplaceable piece!

If it's a piece like an engagement or wedding ring you never take off, and then wear it. As far as thieves go, they're less interested in your bling unless it's obviously very, very expensive...which could signal the possibility of quite a lot of cash or other goodies in your shoulder bag. That's not an issue either if those goodies are safely stowed where clever fingers can't reach them. :O)

Posted by
5836 posts

Rule of thumb in don't travel with what you cannot afford to lose or replace. That would apply to both domestic and foreign travel. Even if they don't get your flashy jewelry, the flash can attract unneeded attention from thieves much as a flashing spinning lure attracts a predatory fish.

PS Hotel managers don't appreciate guest accusing staff of stealing their lost jewelry.

Posted by
254 posts

No need to worry. I just returned, and I wore what I wear at home (diamond wedding ring, diamond band on the right hand, and a diamond pendant necklace). There are safes in the hotels.

Posted by
113 posts

if you are worried where you live then you are worried in Italy. In over 10 trips to Europe and Italy NO problem. Don't worry and enjoy your trip!

Posted by
113 posts

if you are worried where you live then you are worried in Italy. In over 10 trips to Europe and Italy NO problem. Don't worry and enjoy your trip!

Posted by
5697 posts

And if you ARE going to take along jewelery, consider the suggestion made by several people to have one special brightly colored container on your nightstand to hold watch, rings, medications -- put everything in the same place every night and make sure you pack the container before you move on.

Posted by
3812 posts

it now resides on the bottom of the grand canal in Venice

Nancy, I don't know if it's any consolation, but you're pretty much married to the sea.

It's a rite that Doge have made for centuries: they casted a ring from the then vaporetto, the Bucentaur, into the Lagoon to celebrate the Venetian rule and union with the Mediterranean.

It's something to tell during a party, I guess.

Posted by
11203 posts

In a city anywhere- NY, Chicago, Rome, Naples etc. when traveling on public transportation I turn my jeweled ring under to my palm. No need to bring attention to yourself. I do not take good jewelry when I travel more because I am afraid I'll lose it, misplace it. I bought an assortment of costume jewelry at H&M and Macy's that I take on trips.

Posted by
752 posts

LOL! Here in Chicago the ONLY peeps who recognize my 18 carat Italian Gold and Gemstone jewelry are the Criminals! So I follow the "Chicago Rule" everywhere I go -- the Only time I wear my Italian Gold is for a dressy event and on Uber or Lyft going and coming from that event. Never walking down the streets, Never on public transport.

Posted by
87 posts

Don't look for trouble! Only a plain gold wedding band. No stones please. Wear a cheap watch with a leather band too so you don't attract unwanted attention. At night you can wear a small stud earring but nothing dangling or flashy.

Posted by
211 posts

I only can wear real gold, very allergic to anything else. I only have a couple pieces of small jewelry, and I wear it every day. Diamond engagement ring (3/4carrot). Diamond stud earrings, 3/4 carrot total weight I think. Small diamond cross necklace (1/2 inch max size) Very small compared to most people. Wore everything every day during 3 weeks in Italy. never once was concerned about it. Now I also used a pac safe purse zipped and locked always, so we all have our concerns.