Please sign in to post.

We have three days in Italy from 28th March 2009

We would like to take train to Cinque Terra/Portofino area. Will the villages be open towards end of March?

Posted by
32222 posts

Cheryll,

Your question is very difficult to answer with the amount of information you provided.

Could you indicate where you'll be prior to the time you want to travel to the Cinque Terre, and also where you'll be going after that?

The five villages should be "open" towards the end of March.

Cheers!

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for reply. Travelling from Zermatt to Milan and then on to Portofino on the 28th March. Leave Portofino on the 30th to go back to Milan. It's tight and I'm wondering if Lake Como is an easier option.

Posted by
32222 posts

Cheryll,

Does the three days include your travel times? The trip from Zermatt to Milan (via Brig?) should be fairly easy and quick. Given the circumstances Lago di Como might be a better choice, especially Varenna which is only one hour by train from Milan. With only three days, I would want to minimize travel times as much as possible.

Cheers!

Posted by
4 posts

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your comment; need a couple more days and then it would be more comfortable.

Have checked train timetables and we would be travelling all day on the 28th.

Thanks again,

Kind regards,

Cheryl

Posted by
32222 posts

Cheryll,

Just curious, did you decide on the Cinque Terre or Lago di Como?

I'm sure whichever destination you choose will be great! I like both places.

Cheers!

Posted by
4 posts

Hi Ken,

Having checked train schedules etc. etc. have decided on Lake Como. Its tranquil and after skiing will be quite relaxing.

Hotels are very expensive $1,000 per night so have been busy checking out accommodation.

Are you familiar with CasaD6 situated above Varenna. Perhaps it is too far away from the village. Have also looked at apartments in the centre. Lovely little place; thank for for your suggestion.

Cheryl

Posted by
32222 posts

Cheryll,

Good heavens, $1000 per night! I wasn't aware there were Hotels in Varenna at that level.

One important question - do you have a copy of Rick's Italy book? There are lots of Hotel listings in Varenna at FAR lower costs. A few suggestions you might try:

www.centrohotelslakecomo.com/royal_victoria_varenna/homepage.html

www.varenna.net/index.htm

www.hotelvillacipressi.it

If you don't mind taking a short 20-minute Ferry ride from Varenna to stay in Bellagio (and want a very "upscale" Hotel), have a look at www.villaserbelloni.com/Bellagio/index.cfm (beautiful but too high for my budget).

Happy travels!