Please sign in to post.

Walking in Rome

How difficult is it to walk to sites without using public transportation? We are staying in the Trastevere area on Easter weekend (Sat, Sun and Mon), and we're trying to figure out if we need a Roma Pass for our stay. Will appreciate ANY advice!

Posted by
4152 posts

Rome is a very easy city to walk in. The sites are close to each other and can easily be reached by walking. Depending on exactly where your hotel is you may want to take a bus or tram to your first site of the day and walk for the rest of the day. As for the romapass, if you are just considering it for the transportation option then it won't save you any money. If you are going to see at least two sites and use the transport part of the pass then it will be a benefit to you. Just do the math to see if you should get the pass or just buy a 3 or 7 day transport pass. Donna

Posted by
223 posts

Go for it! It is in my opinion the ideal way to see Rome. You will notice some much more with a boots on the ground approach. I love the walk from where you are staying up to the the Vatican along the Tiber. The only downside I can see is luggage from Termini assuming you start there. If your shoes are broke in now, better get after it!

Posted by
6 posts

Thrilled to hear that you agree with walking! We love to walk and plan on hiking the Amalfi coast area for the remaining of our trip. I'm still doing research on what will be open on Easter Sunday and Monday. So far, I have found that the Colosseum is the only site open that has a fee. Still researching......How far is the walk to the Vatican from Trastevere (close to Santa Maria)? We will tour the Vatican Museum shortly after we arrive in Rome. Can't wait!

Posted by
11337 posts

Trastevere to Basilica San Pietro (Vatican), less than 30 minutes. We walked both ways during lunch time. Traffic was so bad the busses weren't moving, so we hoofed it. (BTW it is further to/from the Vatican Museum entrance.) You can go to www.Maps.Google.com and get walking directions, just as you would driving directions. It will at least give you a reasonable time estimate, although some of the chosen routes are a bit odd.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you all very much! This has been very helpful. I didn't realize you can use google maps for walking distances. Thanks again!

Posted by
267 posts

I stayed about 20 minutes walking distance from the Vatican City, and another 5 minutes beyond that to basilica and piazza San Pietro. From there, on our first night, we walked across the river to do Rick's suggested "Night walk across Rome". We took the metro at the end of that walk back to Ottaviano, and walked the 10 minutes or so back to our B&B. Other days, we took the metro from Ottaviano to one of the major sites in ancient Rome and walked to the coloseum, or the Borghese gallery, or whatever, seeing many things along the way. Rome was our last 5 days on a 16 day tour, and my back was out for the whole trip. By then, I'd walked many many miles, done hundreds of stairs, and was wiped out. So after the first night, we used the metro a fair amount, but walked a ton, too. DO get a Roma pass if you plan on seeing a number of sites; HOWEVER... it appears that Easter Sunday is the last Sunday of the month, and (at least in '08) National monuments/museums/etc that are generally pay-to-see are free on the last sundy of the month. So, take that into consideration. You may get to see things cheaper because of that without buying the Roma pass (if things are still free that day...)
Buon viaggio!