Please sign in to post.

Volterra to Pitigliano by Public Transportation

I need help figuring out how to get from Volterra to Pitigliano by Public Transportation. I have found two ways but am unsure about the reliability of the information I found. Information has been very difficult to find.

The 1st is by bus from Volterra to Cecina, then by train to either Albinia or Orbetello then by bus to Pitigliano. The 2nd is by bus or train to Grosseto and then taking the bus to Pitigliano. Am I correct that this requires a change of buses in Albinia? Do you know which is the most efficient, reliable route and which has the easiest connections. Does anyone know of a shuttle service?

The bus to Pitigliano goes thru Manciano..Is there a bus change there or is it just a stop?

I'd appreciate any and all advice and links. Thanks everyone!

Posted by
27177 posts

Bobbie, I hope someone has recent personal experience and can help you out, but what I do is check at the tourist office and at the bus station once I reach the city prior to the hard-to-reach destination. That way, in addition to up-to-the-minute routing and schedule information, I get confirmation that my desired travel date isn't some sort of local holiday with a different or non-existent bus schedule.

Posted by
15204 posts

Have you considered renting a car?
I know that public transportation options are more plentiful in Europe than in America, but you are trying to go from a small rural town to another small rural town, which aren't even that close to each other. I'm not even sure you can make it work. Bus service to Pitigliano is very infrequent, even on weekdays. There are trips that are simply best done with a car, even in Europe.

The most runs are probably from Grosseto (see 41P)
http://www.tiemmespa.it/index.php/Viaggia-con-noi/Orari-e-linee/Grosseto/Extraurbano