Please sign in to post.

Volterra, Italy

Is Volterra a place worth spending 4 nights in and using as a homebase to visit other towns in Tuscany? (may or may not have a car)
Travelling the beginning of March. Thx.

Posted by
3696 posts

I think any town in Tuscany is worth 4 nights, but as Michael said 'not without a car.' I would look at the map and see which towns you might want to visit and either stay someplace in the center, or depending on where you get your car just lay out a rough itinerary that will allow you not to backtrack. Since I don't mind moving I might do 2 places for 2 nights each just for some variety.

Posted by
32 posts

I will be following this post and the replies closely. We're planning to stay in Florence for most of our trip and do Volterra as a day-trip. Since I don't want to go to the trouble of renting a car, I had previously decided to only go to towns near Florence that were super simple to get to by rail (Arezzo, Siena, Lucca, etc.). But Volterra with its Etruscan museum is too much of a draw for me to ignore! And RS calls it his favorite Tuscan town in the 2012 Florence book! Reading through previous "Volterra" threads, I'm seeing it's probably a huge pain to get to sans car but I think it's going to be worthwhile. I'll stayed tuned...

Posted by
2114 posts

LOVED Volterra. Something about seeing it on the approach....then something about looking out on the Tuscan countryside from the town itself....the views, so peaceful. We found the town itself and its people truly delightful. Neat history, too. Definitely spend a night or two there. Agree to split 2 in Florence and 2 in Volterra. You will be glad to wake up there in the morning......take it all in. Get a room with shutters that open up to the overlook little streets.....or better yet the countryside. In Florence, stay at the Hotel Torre Guelfo (previously a private castle years ago) and ask for the room with the HUGE bathroom.....it encompasses the footprint of the tower.....unbelievably huge windows.....some great pix. Enjoy a glass of wine at the top of their private tower (I think hotel guests only), which provides some incredible roof-top views of Florence......have your camera ready :) Haven't rented a car in Italy, so can't advise....always on group tours. Also hear good things about Orvieto on train line. Safe travels. You'll love it there.

Posted by
6898 posts

Volterra could be a lovely choice for Tuscany. However, there is no train station there and the bus runs to other villages, towns and cities. You can get to San Gimignano and Siena with bus transfers at Colle Val D'Elsa. You can also get bus transportation to Florence from Volterra. You really do need a car if you want to see a lot of Tuscany.

Posted by
719 posts

Volterra is one of my favorite towns in Tuscany. It just "feels right", as soon as we walk through the portals. I think spending 4 nights in ANY Tuscan town is a good idea, as long as you have a car. You really get to wind down in the Tuscan villages when you're there for several nights. Without a car? You're kind of limited in your options. Renting a car in Italy isn't that bad, you will of course need an International Drivers Permit for EACH driver (about $15 at AAA) and many people get the comprehensive damage waiver. I never do, I just rely on my CC. I got sideswiped in Cortona last spring, and my capital one card covered it. Many people swear by that CDW, though.
Have a great trip!

Posted by
791 posts

We spent 3 nights there last June senza daytrips. It was a bit on the relaxed side but yeah, 4 nights there with a daytrip or two would be ok. You should get a car though.