Please sign in to post.

Volterra

My wife & I have made 8 trips to Italy over some 30 years. We have been to Volterra twice, but in a guided tour group or a shore excursion with limited time to explore, relax, and enjoy the place itself. As elderly folks how might we best go about arranging a supervised trip to Volterra that will allow for days there instead of hours? There are other towns that we’d like to see more of (Lucca, Mantua), and a few we’ve never been to (Vicenza, Cremona, Modena), but Volterra tops the list.

Posted by
4326 posts

The train station is outside the town and you would have to hire a taxi or bus onward, so I would look for a hotel in Volterra, and then ask them for information on a transfer. Once you are there, I am sure it will be easy to arrange for tours.
We would need to know your itinerary to suggest possible bus routes. It would likely not break the bank to arrange for a private driver from Lucca to Volterra.
I am not sure what you meant by "supervised?"
https://www.discovertuscany.com/volterra/how-to-get-to-volterra.html

I think it sounds like a perfect place for a few days!

Posted by
3 posts

We’ve done independent travel as well as guided tour travel. The basic difference is that in independent travel I have to own complications and resolve them on tour, versus in a guided tour where the tour directors have helped resolve complications (for example, stolen passports, lost luggage, etc.) .

Posted by
3 posts

More like for a week if only Volterra, but several days if combined with Lucca or others.

Posted by
4326 posts

I don't know of any tours that stay a week anywhere--just trying to make clear what you are looking for. As long as you can sort out the transport, I don't see any reason to not go there independently. It's well on the tourism circuit so should have excellent services.