Please sign in to post.

Volterra

One more question. In your opinion, is Volterra too crowded and touristy in June and July to really be enjoyed? I'm trying to decide whether to go there on my 10-day trip in Italy. Thanks.

Posted by
11 posts

Hi, I can't say for certain because I have not travelled there at that time. But it is my understanding from the travel books I've read, that San Gimignano gets more crowded because it is closer to Siena as a day trip, so that weeds out some of the tourists for Volterra. I think Volterra is a worthwhile stop to add to your trip... I enjoyed the Roman theatre ruins very much, and the overall medieval charm. Good luck with your decision.

Posted by
791 posts

I was there last July for several days. It was a bit crowded but wouldn't say overly so.

Posted by
63 posts

Carol, Volterra is a quintessential Tuscan hill town with a real feel! Me, my wife and high school boys visited Volterra last July and found it busy but not overcrowded. By the way, what is wrong with surrounding yourself with a moderate number of fellow international travelers? We love talking, dining and drinking wine with like people at an outdoor cafe while watching the local scene. You will be glad you included Volterra in your travels. Also consider Lucignano, Certaldo, Monteriggiano, Radda, Castilina, Montalcino, San Quirico, Pienza and Montepulciano!
have fun

Posted by
2115 posts

Don't miss it........and I'd suggest staying at least one night. The views of the Tuscan countryside are beautiful, but especially peaceful early in the morning.

Posted by
1446 posts

I don't think it will be as crowded as other places (i.e. San Gimignano, Siena, etc.). We were there in early September & it was not nearly as crowded as the other towns. Volterra is a lovely town & not to be missed. Enjoy.

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks so much for all of your advice and suggestions. I really want to go to Volterra. I was just a little worried that with all the Twilight movie fans it might be like a zoo there. I'm taking my 13-year-old son and 18-year-old daughter and am trying to plan plenty of things they'll like too. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Carol