Please sign in to post.

Vogalonga 2020

It appears that one of the days we are going to be in Venice (Sunday May 31) is the day of the Vogalonga. This was not deliberate and so I know very little about it. I had intended to go to Burano early that morning but not sure that is wise or even possible as the boats all go there (perhaps could leave earlier and see them there?)

Anyway, what is the best way to enjoy this event? We are staying in Cannaregio.

Posted by
3109 posts

We saw it in 2015 and it was a hoot!
We were staying in Canareggio as well, and watched it from the Cannareggio canal just after it joins the lagoon.; so
just before the Tre Archi bridge.

The vaporettos are pretty much out of the question that day along the race route!
It's just too busy.
If you watch from where we did, all the boats get jammed up together to get under the Tre Archi bridge, and there is a lot of good natured shouting about who should go first!!
Good photo ops from up on the bridge too.
If you can get or bring a chair , or bring something to sit on, you can just sit along the canal to watch.
All the little bars and restaurants get quite busy there, so you're better off avoiding them.
You can PM me if you want to see some photos of the day we were there.

Posted by
2494 posts

Yes, I think my plans to visit Burano that day will have to be abondoned.

Ashely--isn't San Giorgio Maggiore a vaporetto ride from SMS? I guess I was thinking the vaporettos would not be running.

SJ Thanks for the specific information on where to go in Cannarreggio. I am not sure we will have access to any chairs but maybe the ground will do!

I looked at some videos last night of previous years and it does look like a very fun event!

Posted by
2494 posts

Ashely,

Since we are not focused on seeing the Vogalonga--it just happens to be taking place when we are there, I am not sure that being confined would be such a good idea. It is our first trip to Venice and while the boats seem like quite fun, that might be more commitment to the event than I want to make. I think we will make our way down to SMS early to try to see the boats take off and then go back to our place, have breakfast, and then go greet the boats on their way back in Cannaregio. That way, if we tire of watching them, we can do something else.

Thanks so much for the help.

Posted by
3109 posts

Beth, I've sent you two lots of photos via email, but can't send the video till I get my husband to help!
Hope you got them.

Posted by
2494 posts

I did! They are amazing! My twenty something daughter wanted to know if we were going in one of the boats or just watch! Wouldn’t that be something?

I think this will be a fun event.

Thanks for the pictures and the information.

Posted by
3109 posts

You're very welcome!
I think the race day boats are all full of teams that train together for weeks for this, so unlikely that you would be able to be in the race!
However, there is a company that gives rowing lessons in the canals to visitors called Row Venice, if she wanted to try that.
https://rowvenice.org/

Posted by
2494 posts

Not sure if she was disappointed or relieved to find out we would be spectators. I actually was looking into kayak rental and there was some message about not available because of Vogalonga. Glad I found out ahead of time, as now I am able to plan to take advantage of this unique opportunity.