Please sign in to post.

vitamins

Can I bring vitamins and prescriptions into Italy? We are going there for a week to find housing. And then moving to Naples for 2 years for my husbands work. I once mailed a bunch of vitamins to my daughter there when she was studying abroad and they confiscated them before she got them. Can I pack them in my check bag without a problem? Anyone know?

Posted by
9100 posts

Customs check heading into Europe are rare, so it's unlikely your bags will be searched entering Italy. Reentering the USA is more of a concern, as you have a higher chance of being selected for a hand search. Customs law require that all medications be in their original containers, with the perscrition stick from the pharmacy attached.

Posted by
67 posts

We took a lot of medications this spring. I kept them all in their original containers and had no problem going or re-entering. I also packed them in zip lock see through bags.

Posted by
32212 posts

Cyndee,

I always travel with several bottles of Vitamins (usually in my checked luggage) and so far haven't had any problems. I always leave them in their original bottle with labels attached.

Moving to Naples for two years - that's exciting! Don't forget to check in here every so often, as you'll be able to help anyone having questions on that area.

Happy travels!

Posted by
2 posts

Thank-you, you've all been very helpful...we'll see how it goes.

Posted by
1158 posts

I don't believe you are going to have any problems, but I would check the EU regulations.