Please sign in to post.

Visiting Rome during Holy Week 2013

Hello We are a family of four, with two girls 9 and 11. We are going to be in Rome the week before Easter Sunday. We were wondering when would be the best day to visit the Vatican. another suggestions would be appreciated? We are also planning to head to Florence at the end of the week? Thanks so much,
Lisa

Posted by
23376 posts

You should combine this with your other question since both are similar. I think Holy Week this year could be a real toss up with the new pope if the determination is completed by that time. If a new pope in town, the crowds could be massive.

Posted by
1994 posts

Regardless of what happens re the papal election, I'd suggest going to the Vatican as early as possible in the week (but not on Palm Sunday). Once the liturgies of the Triduum start on Holy Thursday, the basilica is likely to be closed for periods.

Posted by
127 posts

Do take your children to the church of San Clement which is on three levels. We have taken our own children there and also grandchildren and they have all loved it. One of our granddaughters read the mystery by Nagaio Marsh about it before she went. I believe it was called When In Rome.