Please sign in to post.

Visiting Parma

I will be in Parma on a food tour. The tour ends around 4-4:30. Is there any place I should see in Parma before leaving town? I read that there's a museum in the house where Toscanini was born, but I can't seem to find info on hours. We will be there on Monday.

Thanks for your advice.

Posted by
82 posts

I believe the Casa Natale di Arturo Toscanini is closed on Monday but a top site in Parma is the Baptistry, which is open until 7pm. It's a combined ticket with the Diocesan Museum which has interesting stone sculptures and mosaics. If you're interested in purchasing wonderful ham and the best cheese, there is a butcher shop on Via Farini that has excellent products at reasonable prices. PM me if you want more details.

Posted by
3180 posts

I was in Parma two weeks and the Toscanini home is definitely closed on Mondays. Most museums in Parma are closed Mondays. You might want to download the city's official app "Parma for you" which lists attractions in the city and has links to their websites.

Posted by
1710 posts

Definitely the Cathedral and Baptistry, they are among the best in Italy. The Antelami sculptures are from about 1200 and far exceed the humanism of any painting of that age. The Cathedral is about 400 years older than the current St. Peter's in Rome.