Please sign in to post.

Visiting Cinque Terre

We will be visiting the CT in April 2020. We are looking for a place to stay in one of the villages, specifically Verazza. A RS recommendation was LaMala, has anyone stayed there and could give a review. If not any recommendations on any other accommodations in Verazza. We realize there are no 5 star hotels but accommodations that resemble more of a hotel with amenities.

Posted by
122 posts

We stayed in Vernazza at Casa Cato for the second time two years ago. It is a six room two story guest house near the train station but with sea views. The house actually is on the trail to Corniglia! There are several steps up to it but a porter will meet you at the train station and help you with luggage. It is a little over $200 per night but we really enjoyed it. It has a lovely shared terrace for breakfast and quiet evenings. The second story rooms are the best. Lisa, the owner, is very helpful in helping you plan your days. Her helper, who comes everyday, is also very helpful and welcoming (I can't remember her name). If you want more of a hotel atmosphere then there are some nice places in Monterosa too. Spending the nights in Cinque Terre is very special.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks for your quick reply! I checked out Casa Cato for our visit and they have no availability :(

Posted by
60 posts

If you’re willing to broaden your search, I can attest for Aria di Mare in Manarola. We learned about it from RS guidebook and stayed there a few years ago. In fact, we will return this summer with our kids!
Maurizio is the owner and his place has a variety of rooms. They are all sea view and have a hotel-like feel (bed, bathroom & desk with daily snacks and coffee maker). Some of them include walk-out patio with seating. Check out his website to see what you think. His trip advisor reviews are pretty accurate as well....all good things.
Good luck with your planning and I hope you have a great trip!

Posted by
32257 posts

Are you looking for accommodations more like a hotel, with desk staff and breakfast provided? If that's the case, you might want to look at staying in Monterosso, as there's a good choice in hotels there. Two very popular choices are Hotel Villa Steno and Hotel Pasquale (there are others). Monterosso also has the greatest number of restaurants and the nicest beaches of the five towns.

Hopefully the cruise ship crowds won't be as much of a problem in April.

Posted by
16065 posts

Another very popular choice in Monterosso is La Spiaggia. It's nearly on the the beach, and a flat, very easy walk from the train station. Family owned/operated; great desk staff; elevator to the upper floors; wifi; breakfast included in the tariff; small bar. It doesn't have overnight desk staff but I think that's pretty standard in the CT anywhere at all. Rooms are small and simply furnished but clean and comfortable; request one with a sea-view balcony!!!!!

https://la-spiaggia-it.book.direct/en-us
https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/la-spiaggia.html

Editing to add: no in-room coffee/tea kettles but that's been the rule in most accommodations we've stayed at in Italy. We travel with our own small hot pot.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks to all for the responses! I have never done this before and it's so refreshing how nice travelers are and willing to share their great experiences! Any suggestions on airport to fly into: Genoa, Pia or Milan; for the easiest and quickest route by train to the CT!

Posted by
16065 posts

More international flights go into Malpensa (where will you be flying from?) but it's also the furthest of the 3 airports. Horse apiece, IMHO, depending on cost/ flight times from your home location but I might opt for Pisa over Genova. As far as I know there is no direct train service to any of the 5 CT villages from any of the 3 airports - you go by bus or light rail to a central train station and onward from there - but that's not a big deal. Depending on which CT village you're staying in, you may have to change trains at least once along the way.

Parts of this previous discussion might be helpful:
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/travel-from-airport-to-cinque-terre