Please sign in to post.

Visa

I will be in Italy from April 23 to May 21. I was told that I only need a passport to enter the country. However, after reading an article in the New York Times
titled "E.U, Lawmakers Call for End to Visa Free Travel for U.S. Citizens", I wonder if l should apply. On Friday I checked on the US State dept site and on the Italian Counselate site. I fill out the questions and was told I only needed a passport . Should I apply for a visa?

Posted by
16032 posts

Ditto to the above; there isn't a visa requirement, not going to be a requirement anytime soon, and likely will end up not to be a requirement at all.

Posted by
2768 posts

There is no visa you could apply for yet - there is no tourist visa process for Americans. This vote is non-binding and there are many steps that will need to be taken before any such law is in place. There are meetings scheduled this summer. April 23 will be fine - they will barely be in the discussion stage by then.

I am inclined to think it won't be implemented for a long time and then more along the lines of the reciprocity fee Canadians have to pay to enter Argentina, or some sort of pay-at-the-airport visa, like Turkey, not a very onerous process. But who knows. Either way, there is NO worry for anything in April! I am going in late May and am not concerned.

There is a meeting on June 15 with the EU and the US to try to resolve it. I can't see anything being done before that
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/eu-lawmakers-push-visa-free-travel-americans-article-1.2988353