Please sign in to post.

Villas in Tuscany

I am planning a trip to Tuscanny in May 2014. I would appreciate some recommendations for a villa for 2 couples in the greater Tuscanny area. I am wide open as to the location. This is for a special occasion and I am looking for a memorable place that someone may have experienced and really felt enthused about. A swimming pool would be nice! I would like to use this villa as a base to explore the Tuscanny area and I will have a car. Any and all recommendations are welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!

Craig

Posted by
8125 posts

Rick's Graffiti Wall has a section on agriturismos. There are also a bunch discussed in Heroic B&B experiences and in the Trip Reports section. You'll notice the same names popping up all over the place.

I like the area outside Siena and around San Gimignano--20-30 miles south of Florence. You can pickup a rental car upon leaving Florence, and the roads are easily navigated.

Virtually every farm in Chianti has rooms and apartments for rent. I'm talking hundreds and hundreds. Other sources for rooms are agriturismo.com, Venere.com, Booking.com and villas.com. I've had good luck with Booking.com.

It's just so easy to identify very memorable accommodations with the above internet sites.

Posted by
1626 posts

Look at VRBO.

Posted by
29 posts

Thanks David for your response. Where have you stayed that you really liked in the area around Siena and San G? I am looking for personal experiences and recommendations.

Posted by
29 posts

Thank you Henry the information will be very helpful. I am still looking for those amazing personal recommendations. It is one thing to look at sights online but you can't have a feel for the place or appreciate it's uniqueness on a monitor. Please share those spectacular experiences!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by
5697 posts

Craig, you are looking for personal experience recommendations from people with whom you have no personal connection -- what one person sees as as "authentic and charming" another might see as "disgusting" (I've seen low ratings on hotels that we found to be wonderful.) Recommendations from people who know you and your level of comfort/luxury, OK. Otherwise, I'd read the comments on booking.com or venere.com and look for a pattern.

(A friend recommended a hotel in Siena which sounded fantastic until I realized that their acceptable price range was about 4 times what we wanted to pay. Different strokes...)

Posted by
10 posts

Hello Craig,

The wife and I were there early june for a week http://www.abritel.fr/location-vacances/reviews/p590431. The villa is in Certaldo which is exactly halfway between Florence and Sienna. It is perfect for exploring both towns and also the lovely hill towns all around Tuscany. We were in the "Leonardo" appartment which is absolutely lovely with a private balcony with a lovely view of the Tuscan hills. The pictures on the site do not do it justice it is even nicer once you get there. The owners were so nice and helpful we felt like we were hosted by old friends! Tuscany is so pretty I wish we could have stayed another week.

I envy you,

Michel.

Posted by
29 posts

Thank you Laura B for your thoughts and remarks. Yes I do not know you or your travel preferences. However when someone has a fabulous experience and enjoys their location and choice of lodging that is worth alot!!!! I can always evaluate the details with more research and see if it works for me!!!! But just scanning sites and pictures does not tell the whole story. So please keep sharing if you will your fantastic experiences!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by
19 posts

We spent a week in Montepulciano and stayed at La Falconara. The owners, Alex and his wife Ingrid, were wonderful hosts. Alex has three apartments that he rents out and there is a swimming pool on the property. The views of Tuscany from this location is amazing. Many hillside towns are driving distance and Alex can give recommendations on where to go and what to do. We went to Italy with a general idea of what we thought we wanted to see and do, Alex gave us several itineraries for the area and we are so glad that we took his advise. Never were we disappointed. I would highly recommend you take a look at his website and also read the reviews on Trip Advisor.

http://www.lafalconara.it/?lingua_breve=en

Posted by
29 posts

Thanks Michel & Kathy for your recommendations. They both look like great properties.

Posted by
12 posts

Craig

Look into Castello de Verrazzano just outside Greve in Chianti. We stayed there in September 2012. They have both individual rooms and apartments that should work for 2 couples. It is centrally located where you can visit many hill towns throughout Tuscany.
They host a wonderful winery tour and dinner that was a highlight of our visit. We hope to return in September 2014

Posted by
1540 posts

I stayed at
Residence La Ferriera

via la ferriera, 4, 52024 Loro Ciuffenna, Italy

on the Village Italy RS trip. Each unit is a small apt.
my roomie and I had 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, kitchen and eating area,
balcony looking over the river.
Check it out on tripadvisor and see photos.
This was such a fabulous place to stay and they offered pasta making
classes for us if we wanted.
PS: there is a swimming pool

Posted by
704 posts

Craig, Sorry I didn't see this earlier. We stayed at Il Canto del Sole in early October this year and had a wonderful time. South of Siena, out in the country. Technically its not an agriturismo, but a b and b. See www.ilcantodelsole.com . Its also in the RS Italy guidebook. Have a great trip.

Posted by
29 posts

Thanks David, Frances, and Galen for sharing your experiences!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are so many unique locations in Tuscany

Posted by
2 posts

Hi Craig,

Our family (5) spent early September this year visiting some of the little hill towns of Tuscany and Umbria - having a car there is important. We had 10 days in villa Margarita just outside Castiglion fiorantino, (near Cortona). The villa was newly renovated, clean, bright and lots of space for us with a huge poolWe also had a chef prepare a special birthday lunch for us - fabulous.. (www.tuscancharm.co.uk) they have a selection from small to large villas. The villa did not have A/c but for September, it was not needed (probably the same applies to May). If you are looking for real gems to visit here, we found castiglion fiorentino a real find, not so full of tourists, and full of surprises. Pienza has to be the best.. amazing views (and cheese), Passignano by the lake tresimeno was another gem for us. Harvey,

Posted by
6 posts

Hi Craig,

I've been to Italy many times, and one of the places I've stayed that was perfect for your description is Villa Poggio ai Merli just outside of Florence. It is located in a natural reserve in the hills just next to Florence and the grounds and rooms are spectacular. It's not cheap, but not nearly as expensive as such beauty and charm should be. Olive groves, a beautiful pool, and a staff that is courteous, friendly and helpful in every way. It is also located on route 222 that goes right into the vineyards and towns of Chianti like Greve...an excellent day trip.I will be going back next Fall. Check it out on the web at poggioaimerli.com.

Posted by
372 posts

Hi Craig, We (family of 4) stayed at Collelungo in Castellina in Chianti 4 years ago (Pantera apartment). The place was absolutely stunning and clean with a pool, but we found the owners/staff to be "indifferent" at best. The town center was beautiful with many photo ops and an elegant, upscale feel. We also found it convenient as a base. Greve was just a town or 2 over, Siena less than 1/2 hour drive and Florence about 45min to an hour. If you don't need to interact with the owners/staff I would definitely recommend Collelungo. That being said, I am sure there are other places just as nice in the area, as I would also highly recommend the town. We also had some of our best meals in this area.

Posted by
13 posts

Hello! My family of 5 (3 adults, 2 kids) stayed at a lovely, lovely private vacation home about 20 min drive from Siena in a small town called Castelnuova Berardenga. It was set in a vineyard, we were there in April 2011. It could not have been more picturesque, We had a car (you'd need a car), and traveled to all of the hilltowns of Tuscany, and loved coming home to this place. The photos don't do it justice. Lots of space, more than you will need, but so great. The larger town near by is Castelnuova Berardenga, and we loved going there for dinner (has a few restaurants), and the locals were so nice even if they spoke very little English. And those in the small supermarket began to recognize us (we were there ten days), and they also spoke little English but were great and helpful. YOu can also walk through the vineyards to the medieval town of San Gusme. If it fits your budget, this place is great. The owners Roberto and Marina really wanted to make it great (is it their vacation home, they do not live nearby), and Barbara runs it and she lives up the road and even invited us over for drinks on our last night. Here is the link
http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p294986#propertyInquiry

Posted by
29 posts

Thanks to Harvey, Daryl, Joann, Debbie and Karen for sharing their experiences. It is amazing how many villas have provided rewarding memories. Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by
3 posts

Hello,
My girlfriend and I were here in May last year for two week's http://www.castelfalfi.co.uk/resort/ The villa is in Medieval village which is less than one hour away from the treasure land between Florence and Siena, Pisa and Lucca. Castelfalfi is the ideal location offering hospitality and good cuisine, prestigious golf course and other sports activities to practice surrounded by nature, a century-old history, a timeless landscape, culture and relaxation.
Have a great trip.

Posted by
29 posts

Thanks Nick. What a unique location! This is the type of place I didn't know would be available!

Posted by
7 posts

We had a wonderful expericence at agrituirsmo il molinello (www.molinello.com) in the crete senesi region south of Siena, they have also close to their property a very nice private villa with private pool and garden

Posted by
3 posts

We're returning to Borgo Iesolana near Bucine later in May, was there six years ago. Not sure they would still have availability in early May, they fill up fast. We were there four years ago....excellent location halfway between Florence and Sienna near major highways to get to these and other places fast. But, Bucine is a small village, and the chateau is part of a large vineyard and just amazing. Google their site and you can see some pictures. They don't do the place justice. We are going this time with another couple - about $140/night. Believe about $110/night for smaller apartment for two people. Just be careful you don't run into a momma boar and her little ones on the road...we almost hit a boar family on their one mile dirt entry road last time around...cute as can be. (Also on their restaurant menu.)

Posted by
29 posts

Thanks Frank, Dale, & Sophia for sharing!!!! These are great suggestions. I am still looking for options.

Posted by
105 posts

Craig,

Keep in mind that swimming might not be possible because May is often too chilly.

Posted by
29 posts

Thanks Linda. When do you think it is warm enough in Tuscany to be able to use swimming pools?????

Posted by
4 posts

Since you are going so close i would recommend going to Croatia. Istria is in north part of Croatia and really close to Italy. Here is an agency that offers rental services for villas in Istria: http://www.myistria.com/

As far as i know they can organize also car rental services so you can visit whole south coastal part of Croatia including Kvarner (island Rab, islan Krk, island Hvar). Just a heads up, in may sea is not really warm even though there is people already bathing

Posted by
111 posts

reservations@classictuscanhomes.com

We, 4 couples, rented a villa in Cortona via Classic Tuscan Homes, we stayed in the La Certosa. They have smaller villas to offer. The folks who book and take care of the villas are super, honest and very accomodating. Our stay was beyond words and much more than we could ever expect. La Ceretosa was within walking distance to Cortona and enjoyed walking through the lanes with vineyards and olive trees along the way. Better hurry to secure a villa. Good luck.

Posted by
29 posts

Thanks Jamie I am still looking and have delayed my trip to the fall