Please sign in to post.

Vienna to Venice train

We are planning on taking the Vienna to Venice train, getting off at Udine and renting a car (or maybe going all the way to Venice and renting there) to tour the Dolomites for a week in early to mid September. Any suggestions on an itinerary would be appreciated, or an renting a car in Udine. Thank you

Posted by
2474 posts

Udine is pretty small. If you need an automatic car, make sure you specify that.

Am I seeing the schedule right: Vienna to Udine is over 12 hours? Ugh. But direct train from Vienna to Venice is under 8 hrs. I’d go to Venice. Even better, go to Bolzano in under 7 hrs. It’s an hour drive to Ortesei. Start your Dolomites week there. Or Santa Cristina (10 minutes further away).

Posted by
20944 posts

It's a little under 6 hours from Vienna to Udine on the direct Railjet to Venice.

Posted by
388 posts

What travel4fun said!

Seriously, I don't know about Udine or renting a car there, or the train from Vienna to Venice, but about 5 years ago we did the "Venice to Vienna" trip but we had 3 weeks. We started in Venice (2.5 days, was adequate, could have been more.), took the train north to Bolzano and stayed three days in Ortisei (not enough!). We did all sorts of stuff in between, but we traveled to Vienna via train from Salzberg. We were in Vienna 4.5 - 5 days (including attending a wedding in the Wachau valley). We could have stayed much longer, I love museums and there are so many good ones there.

Good Luck!