Please sign in to post.

Viator

I have three tours with Viator in Rome. Is this a reliable co.?

Posted by
6294 posts

Viator is not a tour company. They are a 3rd party that sells other people's tours. Some people like them. Some have had bad experiences with tours cancelled last minute. Some were in Rome. You can read people's experiences by doing a search on the forum.

I have never used them. Perhaps, I'd use them to search for tour companies, but then I'd book direct.

Wow, just read that Viator takes a 25% cut.

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/tourist-scams/viator-4db0d860-112b-4335-96bc-2bd5f3b2380a

Posted by
7084 posts

If your tours are in October as indicated in your previous post there is still time to book on the official websites
You should be able to cancel whatever you booked with Viator

Colosseum tickets open at 30 days
Vatican at 30 as well I believe
Not sure anymore about Borghese

The point I am making is the “tours” you have booked are just hopeful promises that the unknown tour company can actually get the tickets-as they are not even available yet

If you need links to official sites just ask or do a search on the forum
They are posted often

Posted by
27812 posts

It has been reported elsewhere on the forum that the Vatican website has tickets available for the rest of the year. I haven't verified that, but it definitely sounds like the Vatican tickets are going on sale earlier than in the past.

Posted by
16435 posts

but it definitely sounds like the Vatican tickets are going on sale
earlier than in the past.

General admission tickets are on sale through the rest of 2024. As far as I've tested the website, this only applies to the general-entry tickets and not their tours.

If you've booked a tour of the Colosseum through Viator that includes the underground, you do stand a possibility of it being cancelled. This doesn't apply strictly to bookings through Viator, either.

Oscar, it's odd that you're asking about their reliability AFTER you've booked with them, and after twice before you were informed that they don't operate their own tours.

Posted by
3012 posts

Why are you second guessing your choice? Is there a problem?
I find it odd that you asked the same question in May after you booked with Viator. You got the same consolidator answer then. A year ago May you also asked about Viator.