Please sign in to post.

Viator

Does Viator control all tours offered in Rome? I see that when I book through them, there are many different companies offering tours in Rome. Can I book directly through a tour company that Viator represents and is it less expensive not to go through a 3rd party agency?
Thank you!

Posted by
1050 posts

viator is a third party site - we tend to hire our own private guides or book direct thru a company like Walks of Italy or Tours by Locals. We avoid third parties

Posted by
1895 posts

You can book directly if you can figure out what the tour company is. That's not always easy, but you can try Googling the name of the tour. That info is hidden by Viator until after you book.

There's no guarantee that booking direct will be less expensive. And many providers don't have a presence on the internet outside of Viator, GetYourGuide, TripAdvisor, etc.

I am going to Rome next week for ten days. I've booked a number of tours, two with Viator, some with other aggregators, and some direct with the provider. The two I booked with Viator, I did a search for the providers and didn't find a website for either of them. One I booked with GetYourGuide, and I found the same experience on their website for what seems like a lower price, but they don't have a booking engine, so you have to do it through email, and I don't know how they handle payment.

There are some tour providers in Rome with an excellent reputation that you can easily book directly with. Check out https://www.takewalks.com/rome-tours/ and their partner for food tourism, https://devourtours.com/destinations/italy/rome/.

Posted by
182 posts

Thank you for your responses!
Which tours did you book for your 10 day trip to Rome? Which through Viator? Which private tour guides do you recommend? I’m worried about getting on a guided tour that’s too big & also about having a guide whose English isn’t very clear. I’ve had many tours ruined by both situations & I’d prefer being on smaller, private tours although I know they’re expensive. Thanks!

Posted by
14602 posts

"That info is hidden by Viator until after you book."

Actually it's not. To find the name of the provider on the Viator website:

Go to the tour in question.

Scroll down to Additional Information.

Click "more". You will probably have to scroll down here as the company name is listed at the bottom of this section so not there at a glance. You have to work for it, lol!!

Sometimes it is less expensive to book directly with the tour operator but sometimes they have just raised the price for everyone to cover the 25-30% bite Viator takes.

Posted by
16403 posts

Interesting that you'd ask about Viator as, according to your history on RS and TA, you're definitely no stranger to Rome. Aside from that, the short answer is that yes, you can book direct through tour companies themselves and it's usually a little less expensive than going through a 3rd party.

3rd-party Viator definitely doesn't control ALL the tours in Rome, and I've never felt the need to use them, personally. It you're looking to book a tour at one of the top attractions, such as the Colosseum or Vatican Museums - which I'm pretty sure you've toured before - booking through their own official websites is the most cost-efficient way to go. We've also seen cancellations of tours booked outside of the those sites because the companies selling them that thought they'd land tickets for their customers but were unable to.

Posted by
182 posts

Hello,
I first went to Rome in 1967 & I’ve been going back every couple of years beginning in the late 70s…taking my two sons & their friends in the 80s & 90s…and when they grew up, I started inviting my friends to go with me.
I don’t remember ever using Viator before, but I might have. In 2023, I went without any reservations to the Coliseum or the Vatican…I hadn’t been to Rome since there’s been a requirement of advance sales & timed tickets. I learned the hard way.

This trip in May, I’m going back w my adult son & I want to do things I’ve never done like SCAVI, a night tour of the Coliseum, the monk’s bone crypt & a food tour. I’ve been to St Sebastian Catacombs but it’s been 30 yrs or more. I usually just go to Priscilla because it’s convenient & cheap. This trip, I want to see St Callixtus but I’m not sure that’s the best one or not.

I appreciate all Rick Steve Forums & I’ve been using his guide books since they first were published. I’ve just ordered Rome, Spain, Amsterdam & the Mediterranean Cruise Ports this week. I’m doing my 4th trans Atlantic & I want to see everything that Rick Steves thinks important in the ports I’m going to. His books are the gospel & I always get great advice from the forum.

Posted by
1050 posts

For Rome, for a private guide, we LOVE Sonia Tavoletta - [email protected]

She comes highly recommended in the Rick Steves guidebooks. We've used her before and have booked her again for 2 days in October.