Please sign in to post.

Verona opera

Does someone have the web site to purchase tickets for the Verona opera? I found one but I couldn't find it in English. We plan to get the cheap seats, and just want to enjoy the experience. Also, any suggestions as to which one might be the most entertaining for us who are not seasoned opera fans?

Posted by
17245 posts

We absolutely loved Aida last June. We sat in the cheap seats and it was a wonderful experience, even without seat cushions.

Posted by
7737 posts

They're most famous for their stagings of Aida, so try to do that one, although any of them would be enjoyable. And although this is obvious if you think about it, there won't be any supratitles in English, like in most opera houses in the US. So do read up on the plot before you go, and consider buying one of the souvenir brochures that they should be selling that contain the plot synopsis scene by scene in English.

Posted by
1928 posts

Thanks so much...but we are going to be there June 8 through June 11..looks like it won't even start by then?? I'd be so bummed to miss it.

Posted by
83 posts

Opera must have a seasonal performance schedule, as I see that the Verona schedule runs June-August, and when I looked at La Fenice for our April Venice visit, there was nothing scheduled then either. I've never been to an opera, and like Susan and Monte, we just want to enjoy the atmosphere and experience. Suggestions?

Posted by
1928 posts

Do you think there are other things scheduled during that time in June, that are not listed on the schedule?...Hopefully?

Posted by
83 posts

I did look at the La Fenice site before posting and saw that there is nothing during the April 7-10th dates we'll be there, alas. We'll be in Rome, Florence, and Genoa between the 23rd of March and the Venice dates; perhaps I can find something in one of those cities. Your expertise is appreciated.

Posted by
10555 posts

When we were in Verona the arena was set up for the Peter Gabriel concert that was scheduled for the next day. If you really want to attend something in the arena there might be a website that will tell you about the arena events.

Posted by
1928 posts

Does anyone know of any other website for concerts at the arena? I be happy to attend anything, just want the experience.

Posted by
1928 posts

Thanks so much for the information Ron. Darn! I guess that is a lesson learned on my part. I can't assume anything. I figured- June- summer season, opera season. The opera was going to be one of my highlights..now I'll have to find something else.

Posted by
2055 posts

I enjoy classical music and found the Tourist Info offices a great resource in many cities. Opera may not be an option, but you may find many concerts or recitals. Many are free, some set in beautiful churches, or student performances. Good luck.

Posted by
1928 posts

Great idea! Honestly, we have never even been to a TI, we just plan ourselves ahead of time. Sounds like I may be missing a great resource and should go to TI's on this trip. Thanks!

Posted by
12313 posts

A TI is usually a good stop to find out if anything special is going on locally. Just a quick question, "Anything going on locally this week?" is enough to find something that isn't on line or in a guide book. Some TI's are better than others. If the line is long and not making progress, I'll skip it.

Posted by
7737 posts

Don't despair. As noted, there are lots of concerts, just maybe not in the Arena in Verona. We saw an absolutely amazing shoestring production of La Boheme in Venice when we were there in May 2008. Sung by members of the chorus from La Fenice. They were performing in San Giovanni Evangelista, one of many venues that puts on concerts and mini-operas.