Please sign in to post.

Verona,Italy

We will be in Verona on June 16th.
I have 2 questions. 1) After reaching the train station- how do I get to the 'main hub' of Verona? 2) I would like a guided walking tour- any suggestions? 3) Does Rick have a audio tour of Verona? Thanks so much! Sheila

Posted by
174 posts

Go to the tabachi in the station and get a Verona card. This lets you ride the buses free as well as letting you into most of the main sights. Buses are right outside the station on Platform A and will take you to the centro. (Rick says go to the TI in the station, but it is closed. This made our recent visit more complicated!) We found Rick's self-guided tour to be fine. His Venice and the Veneto book says the TI in the centro organizes daily tours and he recommends a couple of private guides as well.
Verona is lovely. Have a great time.

Posted by
7737 posts

You could also grab a taxi at the train station. Just get in the Taxi line. I don't remember ours being particularly expensive.

Posted by
15593 posts

2. google Verona Card for information on all the sites and choose what interests you most - one day isn't enough to see them all. Go to the Arena (must-see) early in the day - it is likely to close early for an evening performance. Skip Juliet's House - there are many more interesting sites. Most of the sites are within easy walking distance of each other. There should be a map on the website too.
3. no.

Posted by
32216 posts

Sheila, 1) I've used both Taxi and Bus. In this case, Taxi is a good option, as it isn't really all that far to Piazza Bra (where the large Amphitheater is located). You could also take the Bus or walk. 2) I've never taken a guided walking tour there. Check the Italy Guidebook for information on local Guides. 3) Not at this time. There's lots of information in the Guidebook on local sights. Regarding the fictitious "Romeo & Juliet" garden and balcony, it's very touristy and usually crowded, but worth a brief look if you have some spare time (IMHO). Happy travels!

Posted by
7737 posts

Here, I'll save you a trip to Juliet's balcony: This is a video clip from our trip to Verona in May 2011. You're welcome. :-)

Posted by
10244 posts

We got the Verona card and found it to be a great value. We used it to take the bus and provide admission to many places. Will you only be there the one day?

Posted by
719 posts

Verona Card is the way to go. I've also walked to town (exit station, turn right, walk for about 15 minutes), which is also nice. Rick's walking tour is actually quite nice, so I'd recommend that. You can always read it into your laptop, then download the file into your iPod is your REALLY want an audio tour... Juliet's Balcony is overrated, overrun, and definitely not worth visiting. But, of course you will, since everyone does (hence, the overrun part above). You'll spend about 30 seconds then agree that we were all right about it. Ask us how we know... I will say this, most people only spend a day in Verona, then leave the next morning. It's too short a stay in my opinion, as there is a lot to take in in this town. If you've got flexibility, you might want to extend your stay. We always shoot for two nights.
Have Fun!