Please sign in to post.

Verona?

We are staying in Venice then flying out of Milan the next day. Is it worth the time and money to stop in Verona for a few hours just to see Juliet's courtyard. Or should we just go straight to Milan and see the last supper, the Duomo, and enjoy a day in Milan? The costs to stop in Verona: separate train tickets 54 euros, Transportation from station and back 14.30, inside the house 42 = 110.30 euros for 3 hours in Verona? Is it a zoo or a must do magical place?

Posted by
543 posts

I have been to Verona twice. The fist time with my wife we took our time and we fell in love with the place. The second time with my daughter, we only had a couple hours, just like your situation. We did a stroll around town and went to the Juliet courtyard. I think your costs are high though. It does not cost anything to just go in the courtyard, look at the balcony and take a picture. I don't recall how much more the train tickets were for us, but we were glad we did it, even with the extra cost and hassle. My daughter speaks just as fondly of Verona as my wife does even though my daughter only had a few hours to enjoy it.

Posted by
7737 posts

If the only reason you would stop in Verona is to see Juliet's fake 19th century balcony, allow me to save you the trouble with a video clip I took in 2011: Juliet's balcony There is lots more to see in Verona than that courtyard, as you can see from other photos I took on that same trip: Verona in May 2011 We absolutely loved Verona and are going back this May.

Posted by
32220 posts

Stacey, If that's the only thing you want to see in Verona, I'm not sure it's worth the effort or the cost. The fictitious Romeo & Juliet balcony and courtyard is a bit of a "tourist zoo", with visitors either going up to the balcony to have their picture taken, or standing next to the statue of Juliet to have their picture taken while cupping the well polished breast of the statue (supposed to bring "good luck in love" or something). You'll enter the courtyard through a somewhat "unattractive" graffiti-laden passageway. The visit would be worthwhile if in addition to the R&J site, you could spend some time in Piazza Bra, Piazza Erbe, the Roman Amphitheatre (where Opera's are held in the summer months) or climb the 12th century Lamberti Tower for a great view of the city. Happy travels!

Posted by
15254 posts

It's a tough choice. Verona is beautiful and worth visiting and Juliet's balcony isn't even the main thing. On the other hand, although I don't care much about Milan, the last supper, the Duomo and the next door Galleria and La Scala theatre are a must as well. How long are you in Venice? If long enough you could find time for a day trip to Verona while in Venice. Verona and Venice are only 1 hour apart by train.

Posted by
202 posts

I like the day trip ideas. We have an apartment in Venice and I can't come close to the price anywhere in Verona. 6 people doing anything gets expensive. Italy is the most expensive country with kids. They only give discounts for EU children under 18. We just have to make sure the sights outweigh the costs. Thank you for some great ideas.

Posted by
202 posts

Charles- my costs are high because I have a family of 6. Like you it's my daughters wanting to go. The courtyard is free but it cost to go up to the balcony. My husband and son may just stay below. Deciding they would rather spend the 7€ admission on a snack. So you felt it was worth the hassel? Michael- are the other things in Verona within walking distance? What can we realistically see in 3 hours? Roberto- we are in Venice for 4 nights. One day doing Venice, one day seeing the islands, and one day on the beach. R/T travel just adds so much more to our ground transportation costs.

Posted by
15254 posts

Stacey, 4 nights in Venice is not a little time. You have several options:
- Cut one night in Venice, which is more expensive than Verona (and cut the day at the beach), go to Verona instead and spend that night there. You'll have time to visit Verona and maybe even Sirmione on Lake Garda. - Stay that night in Venice, but day trip to Verona, instead of spending the day at the beach (the beach at Venezia Lido is not impressive at all, it's like going to a beach in San Francisco without the fog or the cold breeze). The full fare from Venezia to Verona is 46 euro round trip with a fast Freccia (1hr10 min one way), but it's only 15 Euro with a Regional (double the time). In one full day in Verona, you can see everything and more. - Everything to be seen in Verona is within walking distance from the station. In 3 hours you can probably see a lot, certainly the Arena, Juliet's balcony and Piazza delle Erbe. Probably even a few churches and the pretty bridges on the Adige river. Verona is not that big. However the options I gave you above, instead of stopping 3 hours on the way to Milan, would permit you to also see Milan on the last day before flying home.

Posted by
11613 posts

I agree with Roberto's suggestions, and I offer another: spend one of your Venice nights in either Padova or Verona and daytrip to the other city. Padova has the Scrovegni (Arena) Chapel with frescoes by Giotto, you'll need a reservation and will only have about 60 minutes (15 or 20 minutes inside the chapel, an orientation film in the waiting area) for this site, so it makes an easy side trip. Verona could take up the afternoon of the same day, spend the night, see some things the next day (the Museum and Ponte Scaligeri are beautiful), then go on to Milano. At the Duomo in Milano, you can take an elevator to the roof level (a bit pricey but how many places offer face-time with gargoyles?). The Castello Sforzesco is beautiful as well. About Juliet's balcony: do your daughters know it's a 19th-century concoction? More interesting is the plaque on one of the entrances to the city: "There is no world without Verona's walls, But purgatory, torture, hell itself. Hence banished is banish'd from the world, And world's exile is death; then 'banished' Is death mis-termed"
(Romeo and Juliet Act III.Sciii.l.17).

Posted by
7737 posts

I'm guessing your daughters have seen "Letters to Juliet" and that's why they want to see the balcony. If that's the case, why not let them? As pointed out, there is a good bit to see in the general area of the courtyard. The Rick Steves books contain a good walking tour of Verona that can be done in a few hours. Go for it. And I want to weigh in with my own thoughts on your time in Venice. It's so amazingly beautiful that you might decide not to do both the Lido and the other islands. One day in Venice doesn't give you much time to see how magical it is away from the crowds. Here are some photos I took in Venice, in case you're interested in what I'm talking about: Magical Venice

Posted by
15254 posts

Agree with Zoe. The balcony is a fake. It was built about a century ago (just to fool the tourists to shell out some extra euros out of their pockets). There were however the two families of the Montecchi and Cappelletti (Shakespeare's Montague and Capulet). However no record of rivalry between the two families (Montecchi were a powerful family though). Check Google Images and you'll see how pretty Verona is. I would do Verona over a beach day at the Lido any day. I also agree with Michael about the islands. Murano is very close and you can do it quickly in a couple of hours, including travel back and forth. But maybe, with little time, you might want to skip Burano, which is pretty (colored facades) but much farther up the lagoon. Without much time I wouldn't bother with Torcello at all. That's also too far up the lagoon and just for a basilica? It will take most of your afternoon just to get there and back.

Posted by
11294 posts

I'll just add that if by "beach" in Venice you mean the Lido, don't bother. The sand is dirty, and the whole place is rather run down (not in the interesting Venetian way, that adds personality, but just in a sad and shabby way). I personally wouldn't pay to go up to "Juliet's" balcony, but if your family wants to, who am I to say no? (I saw it for free from down below, and the crowd in the small courtyard was off-putting). I do agree that Verona has lots of other things to see, even in a few hours; Rick's walk only takes a few hours and will take you to lots of interesting places. I'll also agree with the recommendation for Padova. It can be seen easily as a day trip from Venice (regional trains cost only a few euros and need no reservations - you just have to validate your ticket), or you can say overnight. I actually preferred it to Verona. The Scrovegni Chapel is amazing, and the town is not heavily touristed, so it's a nice contrast to Venice (and even Verona).