Please sign in to post.

Verona

We are going to be staying in Verona for 3 days in mid May.... looking for any suggestions on what we "must see" while we are there?

Posted by
7307 posts

Verona has some nice piazzas - Piazza Bra, Piazza Erbe. The most prominent site you will immediately see is the Roman Arena. I’m not sure which month operas begin, but if there’s an event in the arena, be sure to attend. (Bring a jacket or sweater because it will be cooler in the evening.)

We bought the Verona Card our first time in Verona to see several sites and churches in the historic center and surrounding area. I’ve taken a cooking class there and also a city bike tour. I like the bike tours to cover more, plus the guides are great to explain more of the history.

It’s Verona, so some Romeo & Juliet references are fun to see, although of course, not real. We saw Juliet’s statue courtyard illuminated at night which made it much more realistic than being crammed in the courtyard with a bunch of loud people.

You’re also just 30 minutes by train (choose the faster one) to Vicenza which has the Palladian architecture, or even better, just 45 minutes to Mantova which I really liked! The Palazzo Ducale is massive and so many gorgeous items to see! Look up Mantova on Trip Advisor for things to do for the whole list - Palazzo Te, the teatro, etc. there’s a lot there and wonderful food!

Posted by
1391 posts

The Basilica di San Zeno has fascinating old bronze doors (seen from inside the church), Mantegna altarpiece, frescoes, ceiling, other treasures. There will be Sunday services to work around, and other tourists interested in art and beautiful churches, but you’ll be away from the fake-balcony crowds and the main center of town. There’s a small fee.

The church of San Fermo, especially the wooden ceiling.

Many posts on this forum about things to do in Verona, including this one: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/verona-day-trip

The restaurants we liked best in September 2019 were:
La Taverna di Via Stella
Osteria il Ciottolo
Trattoria al Pompiere
Osteria il Bertoldo

Posted by
813 posts

There is also a Roman Theater which houses a nice, if somewhat small, archeological museum that is partially housed in an old church and monastery for added interest. The museum is vertical, but if you work your way to the top you get the same views as the people who take the funicular to the castle/mansion at the top of the hill. There is also a funicular to the castle/mansion at the top of the hill.

For a very interesting small museum that mixes old and modern art all housed in an old grand palazo check out the under advertised Palazzo Maffei Casa Museo right on Piazza Erbe. If you keep going up there is a rooftop view of Verona at the end.

The city it self is very pretty with the old Roman town in the bend of the river with picturesque bridges at regular intervals. The downtown area is almost entirely traffic free so it is a greta city to wander, window shop and has a very cafe culture feel. It is a great city for walking and exploring and relaxing.

As others have said Padua and Vicenza are easy day trips but if you like Roman ruins I'd opt going the other way to Brescia which is underrated IMHO.

Enjoy,
=Tod

Posted by
678 posts

For beautiful scenic views of all of Verona, walk across the Ponte Pietra, go left to take the funicular up to Castel San Pietro. You have lots of great spots from up there for panoramic views of the city and river below. Also, in that same area, right next to the river, are the old Roman ruins and archeological museum.

Posted by
200 posts

I totally agree with Jean regarding Mantova (Mantua). We spent three days there last fall and really liked it. The art is amazing.