Please sign in to post.

Vernazza vs Manarola

Next Sept we will be going to CT for 3 nights after 4 nights In Tuscany. I am trying to decide between Vernazza or Manarola. I was leaning towards V but someone mentioned train noise at night. We are not party people so desire a quiet place to sleep. I would appreciate anyone sharing their thoughts on this. Thanks!

Posted by
1928 posts

It depends on where you are in Vernazza. The train is up the road from the ocean, and there are many places to stay right on the square in front of the ocean. I'm a very light sleeper and we stayed above the train up the hill. I was concerned it would be a problem for me, and we stayed 4 nights, and it never bothered me. We loved staying there and had a great place with Guiliano Basso with beautiful view. And, he is quite a character- at lease in 2008!

Posted by
1229 posts

Food for thought: I am a light sleeper and use a white noise machine at home. I discovered a white noise app. The app actually has many sounds (rain, ocean waves, etc) that you can choose among by swiping. So now when I travel, I plug in my phone and turn on the white noise (I use the "brown noise") and I do not worry about where I might be sleeping (next to a busy street, near a party). I use tmsoft.com ...

Posted by
8135 posts

it depends on the tolerance of the person; some people sleep light some have trouble sleeping;
Coming from Chicago, cinque terre seemed pretty quiet; maybe it depends on how early you go to bed;
i was vexed to hear birds chirping at 5 am; but not trains passing

Posted by
105 posts

Hello! We stayed in Manarola for three nights just last month. We absolutely loved it. We stayed at Aria Di Mare, and it was very quiet there.

I can't speak about staying in Vernazza. We unfortunately didn't explore Vernazza as much as we did the other towns. When we were in Vernazza, the train noise was quite loud because of the layout of the tracks and how the train runs through the city. I'm sure there are several B&Bs in Vernazza that are far enough away from the tracks that the noise would not be a problem.

With the layout of the train tracks running through Manarola, the train was quieter. In fact, I don't recall ever hearing the train while in Manarola.

Posted by
97 posts

Thank you all for the info. For those who stayed in Vernazza, can you recommend hotels/rooms?

Posted by
1928 posts

Look up Camere Giullano on tripadvisor for reviews. He has rated number one in Vernazza for years. Beautiful place, beautiful views, quiet away from the main square, and interesting fellow. There are many, many steps up the hill but Giullano will carry your bags.

Posted by
32336 posts

Laura,

Of the two, Manarola will likely be quieter especially if you choose lodgings slightly uphill from the harbour area. The harbour area of Vernazza is somewhat "enclosed" with buildings, which tends to create somewhat of an "echo chamber". Vernazza is somewhat compact, so it doesn't seem to handle crowds as well as some of the other towns. You may find it to be extremely busy in the day time, especially on cruise ship days.

This is one of the nicer places in Manarola (but not inexpensive) - http://www.torrettas.com/

If "quiet accommodations" is important, you might consider staying in Monterosso instead. Hotel Villa Steno is an oasis of tranquility, even on busy days (there are other hotels there that are also quieter).

Posted by
45 posts

Use Airbnb and choose by the best apartment you can find for your budget. Those two are the most beautiful of the 5 in my opinion. Go from Vernazza to Monterosso al mare hike (less steep in that direction) during morning and have a swim and lunch in Monterosso Al Mare. Return by boat back to either "home" town. Its a great way to skip out on the tourist overload that happens between 12-3PM in the tinier towns. Have Fun. I highly rec. IL Pirate for B,L, and Dinner.

Posted by
35 posts

Hi Laura,
We stayed at Vernazza back in 2013, and thought it was just the most lovely quaint little town that represented true old time Italy... Just like we knew from the movies with washing hanging out of the windows! Staying there for 2 or 3 nights (I forget) was one of the true highlights from our 13 weeks in Europe. My fiancee had a seafood pasta one night that she still talks about as being the best pasta she has ever had in her life...
I wouldn't worry about train noise too much really. It would depend on where you stay obviously. We stayed in a little place on Piazza Guglielmo Marconi which is right by the little harbour. Definitely can't hear trains from this area of the town with the station up the other end...
Yes a truely wonderful little town...

Posted by
97 posts

Thank you... keep the info coming! Forgot to mention that we are seniors and in decent shape but would prefer a place that is not a long, uphill hike to our hotel. A view is a plus along with breakfast but priced under $130 per night. All recommendations are welcomed!!!

Posted by
97 posts

Gary, do you remember the restaurant? And what hotel? I love seafood!!!!

Posted by
351 posts

We are in our late 50's and just got back from Monteroso.
We were to all the 5 towns are we're glad we stayed there.
Train is close and lots to do.
We were in the old town and stayed at Manuels guesthouse.
150€ with great breakfast.
Nice room with sea view, and balcony.
It is a 130step walk up to the house, but well worth it.
Lots to do in Monteroso, shopping, restaurants etc.
Vernazza would be my other choice if not staying in Monteroso