Please sign in to post.

Vernazza in March 2021?

I make it a habit to visit Italy once a year if at all possible. I was last there in March 2019 (Milan). We spent the Christmas holidays this year in Madrid and it was wonderful and our big plan was to take 14 months off from travels and return to Italy in March 2021. As soon as we returned from Madrid in January we booked our room in Vernazza knowing full well we weren't going to book the flight until August or September. The camere we booked in Vernazza has a generous cancellation policy but we really hope to make the trip. Does anyone have any thoughts, insights, experiences or opinions as to the likelihood we will be able to make this flight and that we will be able to book a flight in the Fall?

Posted by
4758 posts

You're asking for an answer about conditions a whole year from now? Seriously? How many epidemiologists do you think hang out on this forum? Even they wouldn't speculate on something that far out.

Posted by
15678 posts

Jack, if your trip isn't until 2021 and you're not looking to book air until fall, I'd sit tight for now. No one at all can offer any sort of useful advice regarding bookings as far out as you're looking. Shoot, things are changing so quickly right now that it's nearly impossible for travelers with trips much, much sooner than yours to keep up with them! The poor RS staff have been burning candles at both ends for awhile now with no letup in sight; same with other travel businesses blindsided by this virus mess.

Hopefully this dratted plague will have run its course by the time you wish to start nailing down flights. In the meantime, enjoy some time with your guidebooks + some recreational online research sessions for your trip? :O)

Posted by
317 posts

CJean,
Thanks for the supportive and thoughtful reply. As a frequent traveler I put a lot of thought into each and every adventure. I did not ask for specifics only but was seeking to gain from anyone’s past experiences. Your kind and considerate opinion is always welcome but I’d be more interested in something a little more supportive or at least based in experience.
Always a pleasure!

Jack

Posted by
4758 posts

Ok, you want past experience? When was the last time the world faced a pandemic of this magnitude? That would probably be the swine flu that killed over half a million people and lasted almost a year and a half, starting in 2009. And that was with a vaccine that was developed fairly quickly. I can't comment about our travels during that period- we had none. I was working full time in a hospital that was dealing with the influx of flu patients.

Of course lessons have been learned from that, and from SARS. BUT this virus is different, so no experts that I have seen are even attempting to predict with certainty when this will end. Tourism travel was not specifically restricted during the Swine Flu pandemic, nor were there as many forced closures of public places or events, which differs from the current pandemic. So you really can't draw conclusions from looking at this earlier outbreak.

Posted by
317 posts

Dear CJean,
Thanks for your insight. You have been both enlightening and encouraging. I hope you are safe and healthy during these trying times and that you continue to find comfort in aiding your fellow travelers! Best regards!
Jack