Please sign in to post.

venice transportation

Hello everyone,

I need help planning a transportation from Marco Polo airport to our hotel which is near St.Mark's square. Our group consists of 6 people with only carry-on luggage. My research has lead me to more confusion. We are on a budget so we don't mind the trip takes a little longer but if the simpler method costs a little more than we don't mind paying. I don't know whether we should go directly from Marco Polo to our hotel or take a bus from Marco Polo to venezia roma bus stop and from there take another mode of transportation to our hotel. Can someone give us a couple of options and also let us know where the tickets can be bought?
thank you so much

Posted by
1582 posts

You have 2 options:

Option #1 - The easiest way is to take the Alilaguna water bus from the airport to San Marco, purchase tickets in the arrivals hall and either walk the few minutes to the landing dock or catch the shuttle bus (1 euro to the landing dock.)

Option #2- Take the land bus(ATVO) from outside arrivals to piazza roma, about 3 euros and takes about 25 minutes, then take the water bus down the grand canal to San Marco, this way I think is more of a hassle but it gives your friends a look at the entire length of the grand canal on the way to their hotel.

The Alilaguna does take a long time about an hour and Ten minutes going via Murano and the Lido, , a bus involves changing to then a water bus (Vaporetto ) to San Marco,a bit of chopping and changing not much in it price wise,

Posted by
20085 posts

With 6 people, I would seriously consider a water taxi which will cost about 120 EUR, or 20 EUR per person, but it may be able to get you close to your hotel. The other 2 options are the bus plus vaporetto you mention. a combined ticket is 14 EUR per person. The other is the Alilaguna boat, which is 15 EUR boat at the airport, or 14 EUR bought on-line in advance.

You can buy tickets for all of these at the airport outside the exit door from the luggage carousels.

If your group is thinking about getting multi-day vaporetto passes, you can add the airport bus to your pass when you buy it for an additional 6 EUR per person

Edit - This information is incorrect.

Option #2- Take the land bus(ATVO) from outside arrivals to piazza roma, about 3 euros

It is 8 EUR, not 3.

Posted by
3112 posts

If you plan to buy vaporetto passes for your stay in Venice, then the bus to Piazzale Roma and vaporetto to St. Mark's Square would be the most economical option. Otherwise, the posters above have given you some great options.

Posted by
2114 posts

For a group of six, yes, definitely take the water taxi......the experience is fabulous.....your view will be incredible, and it will be personalized to your needs.
Gratuity is built into the fare, so no extra is expected/needed.
We did a shared water taxi since it was just the two of us, and it was truly one of the highlights for us......my husband was smiling the entire time. Made our entry into Venice truly magical.
Enjoy your trip.
Even though it might cost $6 more per person, it will be lifetime memories.....lots of ways you can skimp otherwise to off-set the $6 difference :)

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you everyone for some great tips. I will consider all options. While I m on this topic I want to follow up with another question. What would be the best way to go from the hotel to Santa Lucia station? . I found out our hotel is near near the Rialto stop. Is it doable to walk ? If we decided to take water bus back to piazalle Roma how far Ian that from the train station?
Thank you

Posted by
887 posts

Yes you can walk, but if you are hauling carry-on wheelies it will be gated work due to bridges with steps, cobbled streets etc. Best take vaporetto from Rialto to P. Roma and cross the footbridge to the station. Google ACTV Venice for information on vaporetto routes, schedules etc. Getyourguide website has all the options for getting from airport to hotel.

Posted by
2299 posts

hey hey hieuvan
don't know your dates, times and what hotel you are staying. what time is flight to VCE and from where? since 6 people are traveling i would book a private water taxi (motoscafivenezia.it 115E to 120E) split 6 ways is about 20E apiece. your group will be the only one on the boat, fabulous way to arrive (done it 3 times), will take you as close to your hotel as possible. always keep the address of hotel/apt with you on phone or piece of paper and directions, plus the ferry/vaporetto stop.
i'm guessing your first time to venice, let the pros take you instead of more confusion. you will get lost roaming around. coming to a dead end turn around and try another alley way (calle), zigging instead of zagging, that's the fun and magic of venice. think positive and your group will have a great time.
aloha

Posted by
1878 posts

Do you have a guide book--this would aid your research a lot. I took the Alilaguna boat a few weeks ago which was slow but had a stop near at the Rialto Bridge, quite close to where I was staying. My experience with Vaporetti that was that headed toward St. Mark's Square along the grand canal, they were very jammed and maybe not something you want to brave with luggage. My experience was from early May 2019, if you are going in July might be much worse. With six people a water taxi might be a good option though. They are said to be very expensive but split over six people, could be a good option. Check out Rick's Venice or Italy book for details.

Posted by
20085 posts

To get to the train station from Rialto, you can take the No 1 boat toward Piazzale Roma, but get off at the stop before, Ferrovia. That is the train station right in front of you. The No 2/ boat runs express from Rialto to Ferrovia beginning just before 1 pm until after 7 pm, every 12 minutes.

Posted by
2299 posts

hey hieuvan
read europeforvisitors.com has a section about travels in venice plus other places. who what where how and when
aloha

Posted by
3112 posts

I walked from Rialto to the train station once thinking it wouldn't be that long a walk. In hindsight I thought it was a fairlly long walk and I wouldn't have wanted to do it with even carry-on luggage in tow. If you have vaporetto passes, they'll likely cover your trip to the train station on the day you depart since they're true 24-hour (or longer) passes that don't expire at midnight.

Posted by
5687 posts

I walked from Rialto to the train station once thinking it wouldn't be that long a walk. In hindsight I thought it was a fairlly long walk and I wouldn't have wanted to do it with even carry-on luggage in tow. If you have vaporetto passes, they'll likely cover your trip to the train station on the day you depart since they're true 24-hour (or longer) passes that don't expire at midnight.

Well...If you are in good shape, the walk from Rialto to the train station isn't really that long. I did it a few times when I was in Venice a few weeks back and have a few times over the years. (Other trips, I've used the boats.) I could do it with small bags but probably wouldn't.

Actually, if you walk on the San Polo side from Rialto to the train station (the south side of the Grand Canal) and not on the north side along the relatively straight but often charmless Strada Nova, it's a lovely walk, with many twists and turns through charming piazzas, narrow streets, and over a dozen little bridges. It's not a walk to do when you are just trying to get from A to B but it's an amazing walk to absorb the charm of Venice.